Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Moly
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK what am I doing wrong. I have a bunch of CombinedT 270gr 375s I picked up from Midway. I just really hate moly on a hunting bullet so I decided to remove it. So I soaked them in alcohol for about an hr and they have now been in the vibrating tumbler for about 5 hrs and are still black with just a touch of brass showing on the corners.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ramrod, Someone actually makes a "Moly Remover". Not sure who it is, but it might be "KG"(do a google on it).

You might be able to do a Search on Midway, Grafs, etc., and come up with it.

I was flipping through a Load manual yesterday and came across a single sheet of paper which a Vendor was handing out when Butch's Bore Shine first hit the market. It did not specifically say it would remove Moly, but it alluded to it. If you have any on hand, try it on a paper towel, but I wouldn't buy any specifically for it, cause I don't know if it will work or not.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I did a google search on moly and read where MEK (methyl ethyl alcohol) will remove moly coating. Don't know if it works, but the author claimed it did!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Correction: My above post should read: MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). It is not an alcohol.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I knew what you meant. I'll try some tomorrow.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I quit. I'll shoot black bullets. Roll Eyes I soaked the bullets for 45 minutes in alcohol yesterday and an hour in MEK today and ran them for a total of 12+ hrs in the tumbler even with new media. While they don't feel quite as slick they are still black. So for now I'm going to live with them. Will check on a Moly cleaner next time I go to the gun store.

Thanks for the suggestions. For the record MEK did make quick work of the moly on the inside of the plastic bullet boxes.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K