New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on .30 cal. Remington
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
I've recently become interested in old Remington pumps (Model 14s and 141s) and autoloaders (Model 8 and 81s). I notice that a lot of these rifles are chambered for the .30 cal Rem. I am not familiar with this round and wondered if anyone has any info on it (ballistics, brass availability, bullet weights, etc.). What little I have been able to find out, it appears to be rather anemic compared to more modern 30 caliber rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My father had a couple of old pumps with the spiral tubular magazine in both 25 rem and 30 rem.He had to form brass from 30 rem for the 25 up until he retired both rifles years ago.

[ 08-25-2002, 18:35: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The .30 Remington is basically a rimless .30-30 and brass is still available from Graf's ( http://www.grafs.com ) and probably any major supplier. All the loading manuals that mention .30 Remington say to just use .30-30 loading data. The .25 Rem and .32 Rem can be easily formed from .30 Rem brass, while the .35 Remington is considerably larger at the case head (and considerably more common!).

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 14A in .30 Rem. It is a slick and well-balanced little piece. I'm thinking of selling it because the length of pull is rather short -- under 13".

Ballistically it's the same as a .30-30 -- I chronographed some '50s-vintage Winchester 170-gr. Silvertips at 2100 fps. Several reloading manuals advise that you can use .30-30 load data.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote