New
Find
Notify
Tools

250-3000 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a nice 250-3000 and can’t find any ammo or brass except for collectable stuff. What steps do I have to go thru to make 250-3000 cases from 22-250 brass? Anneal the 22-250 cases, expand with a .243 expander then finish with a .257 expander, correct?

Thanks,

Richard

Posts: 257 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I believe you are correct, but I've never done it so hopefully someone experienced will pipe up.

Don't know if you are interested but this place has 250 Savage brass (Rem) listed:

http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/brass.asp

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turk1961:
I just purchased a nice 250-3000 and can’t find any ammo or brass except for collectable stuff. What steps do I have to go thru to make 250-3000 cases from 22-250 brass? Anneal the 22-250 cases, expand with a .243 expander then finish with a .257 expander, correct?

oldMAYBE ! Even if the last step is to FL resize the differences in dimensions and shoulder angle might leave you with under size head spacing. Try a couple and see if you're lucky or not. Winkroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the way easiest way is to ask where to find 250 Savage brass.

Chestnut Ridge

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I will try them.

Richard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at Cabelas in Glendale, AZ today and they had a few bags of Remington 250 Savage

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I purchased brass from Huntington recently I saw 250 Savage brass listed as available.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your help. I have decided to expand some new Lapua 22-250 brass to 250-3000. Any suggestions on how to mark or stamp out the 22 on the case?

Thanks,

Richard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a little different. I chambered a worn out barrel in 250-3000. I fireform 22-250 Lapua brass with a case full of Bulleyes and a wax plug, No bullet.
I full length size and shoot.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For a 250 Savage I would much rather have factory brass with a proper headstamp than fooling with making brass from 22-250s.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a 22-250 it shouldn't be an issue at all. If you do and use that same headstamped brass in it, a tiny divot filed into the rim works nicely.

I would form from Lapua like you've chosen to do. It isn't much work, and that Hornady neck sizer isn't expensive at all.

Be sure to anneal after fire forming to avoid split necks... Or PM Butch for charge weight and go that route. Makes sense.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
How many Bulleyes can you get into that tiny case?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 33grains of Bullseye and a wax plug. It will do the neck diameter just fine. It seems every time I expand the necks the brass is shorter after forming with a bullet, it has a lot of runout, and I wasted a bullet. If I used a bullet, I would use a 22 bullet with a stiff 22-250 load in the 250 fireform barrel.
It is hell catching that many bulls.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote