Find
Notify
Tools

Case tumblers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cyclotronjunkey
posted
Hi guys, I have been using a vibrator case cleaner for years and got a sidewinder tumbler from my WIFE for Christmas. It seem to beat(small nicks) the cases up a lot more than the vibrator I followed the use directions from the manufacture. I was wondering if this was just the nature of a tumbler style cleaner or if I am doing something wrong. Any help would be great.

posted Hide Post
I have used a rock tumbler for years and never noticed any nicks. Maybe you need more media. Mine is just about full, maybe 95%. Jim

Jim

Posts: 13 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The media may be a good idea. The directions say 50/50 brass and media that seems a bit low on the media side but I didnt want to argue with the people that made it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will second the vote for more media, I started mine with the same amount I had in my previous vibratory, which didn't fill the new 'rock tumbler style' very much--just a lot more capacity, and had the 'beat up case thing' going on, so I just doubled the media, and problem eliminated.

Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't think the mix is all that important 50/50 will work OK. Cases don't take up that much space when tumbling, since they fill up. I have crammed as much as I can in there and it works fine, might take a little longer but it works. Jim

Jim

Posts: 13 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys: I just finished running a new batch with the tumbler 75% full the brass looks good and didn’t take to long. This is why the Internet is the stuff most questions I have I can do a search and find it on this forum but if you cant find it just ask. Thanks again.