Find
Notify
Tools

More .257 Weatherby help.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
I posted this over on the long range sight, so sorry for the duplication if applicable.

I went to the range Saturday with high hopes of my loads consisting of IMR 7828 and Barnes 100 grain TSX's showing me good things out of my Mark V.

Shot loads in half grain increments from 71 - 74 grains. Best group I got was with 74 grains, but it was over an inch. Extractor mark was starting to show as well...so I have two more suitable powders on hand to try. Which one would you try first with the above bullet?

Choices:
IMR 4831
H1000

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the IMR-7828 and dump the Barnes bullets!

I'd also keep it down to 73 grains...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
I'd stick with the IMR-7828 and dump the Barnes bullets!

I'd also keep it down to 73 grains...

Steve I have to agree with you 100% thumb

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try RL22, max out at 72 grains and over 3600 with the TSX 100 grain. Works good in mine and a couple of others have tried it as well with very good accuracy.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original h-1000 was the most accurate in my custom 257wby mag.However the newer h-1000 extreme produces 150fps less with the same charges and the groups are triple the size as with the original h-1000.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. Steve and Jay,

You talked me into it. I am going to bag the Barnes and stick with IMR 7828. I have some 100 grain Partitions at home that I will stuff in the case tonight...and I will make 73 grains the max this time.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why dump the Barns bullets?

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Accumark shoots 115 and 120 grain Nosler Partitions 3400 plus fps on 68 grains of RL-22 with deadly accuracy. I shoot H-1000 with 110 grain Berger and 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip's in a three leaf clover when I do my part. My scope is a 6 X 24 Burris Signature. I have quite counting how many Deer my grandsons in Tennessee have killed with it, the limit is three per day. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I get consistent sub half MOA with RL-22 and 100gr TSXs. In fact, TSXs are the mot consistently accurate bullets I've tried in six different calibers. "Dumping" them is well, unwise. that bullet is made for those velocities. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the range Saturday and took my .257 Weatherby with loads featuring IMR 7828 from 70.0 to 73.0 grains loaded in .5 grain increments topped by Nosler 100 grain partitions.

Groups...not good! Velocities were good (between 3500 and 3650)but the accuracy stunk. Nothing under 2 inches and 73.0 grains looked like a shotgun pattern.

I now have 110 grain Accubonds, 100 grain TSX's, 100 grain Partitions, and 115 grain Partitions on hand.

I have IMR 4831, IMR 7828, and H1000 on hand. I am willing to buy another powder for giggles.

What would you do?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
RL-22 or MRP.....jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Jorge said, RL22 and 100 TSX will shoot into one hole on a good day in my .257, velocity on my chrono is 3670 fps, so they're kinda slow! It works on whitetails in the cornfields, antelope and muleys.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey 300 Winnie How does your rifle perform with factory ammo? What exactly is your rifle? Mark V or Vanguard? Maybe you already said.Are you absoulutly shore your stable on the bench? Sand bags or Machine rest? Do you have a rear bag?Tons of factors involved in getting tight groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ironworker,

I've never shot a round of factory ammo at the target. When I got the gun it came with some Hornady 117 Round Nosers that I shot at rocks...Anyway it is a Mark V Deluxe and it is capable with the right loads. I have a load worked up with IMR 7828 and 115 grain Ballistic Silvertips that shoots sub m.o.a. consistently. I want something tougher than that bullet however, so this is the adventure I am on.

I shoot off of a benchmaster rest. I am fairly certain I am stable as I am usually firing other guns, and proven loads out of those are going into the groups I expect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok 300 Winnie your shooting a Mark V. Hey I hope I don't start recieving a bunch of Hate mail now but Weatherby Mark Vs aren't know to be super good shooters. Freebore,pencil thin BBLs Stocks don't ride the bags very well. The shooter shooting the accumark That rifle has a synthetic stock and some what of a heavyer BBL.Uncertian of the Freebore. First off shoot some factory stuff and the report to us the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok just going thru a check list. How about Nosler Accubonds? I shot a Bear with those baby's he didn't like it at all.Do you have a bullet comparitor? Match the seating depth with new bullets and the Silver tips you know for sure that shoot well.So its a Delux, it must be looking mighty fine.What about useing Retumbo powder?Try and seat them bullets to touch the lands. What are you planning on shooting with that bad boy?I like shooting at rocks also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ironworker, you gotta be looking for a laugh with that ststement about seating bullets into the lands of a Weatherby rifle, right.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a very good point. Just how much is there free bore?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, reaching the lands of a Wby chamber in a MkV is a bit of an oxymoron...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know not what their actual freebore measurement is, as I have never owned a Weatherby and never will unless I find one that shoots well, and that is highly unlikely. All of my recent reamers I had ground with zero freebore and am very happy with all of them. I realize that they will not push a bullet at the speed of light but they are accurate.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was never impressed with a Weatherby rifle myself, but won the .257 in a sales promotion. Beat the hell out of winning a crock pot. I was surprised when it shot under an inch with a box of factory loads with 100 gr Hornadys. The first load I worked up was the 100 TSX and RL22 with the bullet seated at factory spec. I think that's 3.250. It will shoot .5-.6 for three shots every day and has been a great cornfield whitetail rifle, have made a pair of clean kills way out there. The only negative is it requires more cleaning than any of my rifles, groups will open up to and inch or so in 20 shots, then clean it with wipeout and it's right back to damn near 1 hole. Nothing wrong with the way mine shoots, and it's like shooting a big .220 Swift on deer. Sight it in 2 inches high and hold on the body till you go past 350 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear what you are saying, I love the .257 - practically no recoil, and flat as anything. IMHO, the 100 grs TSX is just about the perfect bullet for this caliber. You simply can't drive it fast enough to tear it apart.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Weatherby Mark Vs aren't know to be super good shooters.

You might not get hate mail, but this post is a good substitute. SO I have to ask, how many Weatherbys do you or have you owned that you can make that statement? I currently own five of them and off and on have owned at least twice that number and the worst shooter is a 3/4 MOA. The 257 in particular normally averages 3/8" groups.jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Weatherby! I've seen a lot of Weatherby owners with headaches at the Rifle range plus some rather large shotgun pattern groups. So basicly word of mouth.Ok so you say otherwise. I've been seriouslyb thinking of a 257 Mag purchase,perhaps the Vanguard MOA.There in know way I'm going to put out $1400 bucks for a New Mark V when I can get a semi custom rifles chamberd in a 257 with out free bore.Any rifling twist I want any BBL lenght Mike Rock BBL or a nice Hart or Broughton,Lilja.Krieger. You see what I mean.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Actually with the advent of newer, slower powders Weatherby's reduced the freebore somewhat. But be that as it may, all my Weatherbys have the freebore and accuracy's not a problem. 1400 bucks? where? MKV DeLuxes wholesale for more than that. AS far as spending money on a custom rig, 1400 bucks sounds awfully cheap, unless of course you hire a some plumber to build it.

You get what you pay for and although Weatherby looks are a matter of taste, the accuracy guarantee and quality you get in today's Weatherbys, they are an exceptional value. Vanguards are a GREAT BUY for the 350 bucks places like Wal-Mart get for them. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ment semi Custom you know provide a Remi 700 Action. You can get that for under 1500. bucks. Hey I love the look of Weatherbys its just reports from shooters like your self are far and few between.Glad yours are good shooters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, if you shoot much and have not heard that Weatherby has a reputation for being inaccurate, you do not listen to much of what is being said.
I am also happy that you have a number of Weatherbys that you are pleased with and are quite accurate. I did not say that I have not shot any of them, I did say that I have never owned one. I admit that I am unfamilar with the guns that they have built in the last 10 or 15 years, but when I did have access to a few of them I am one that does not like the looks of them. As far as 14 or 15 hundred being rather inexpensive for a custom gun, I imagine that it is, but not by too much. I guess that it depends on just what you are talking about as fao as a custom is concerned. A custom to me is a gun that is built for accuracy and nothing else. A custom B.R. gun can be picked up used for between 17 hundred ans two grand, that has the potential to break world records. There is a lot more involved in it than the gun, but that gun may do it. Again, happy to hear that you do have a couple of good shooters and good luck with them.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
b.beyer: I guess we are talking at cross purposes here as BR shooting has little to do with hunting in my view. Weatherbys and many other rifles are not designed for BR shooting. Accuracy is obviously an important component in any rifle, bench rest shooting is a highly specialized discipline with only litle resemblance to hunting.

To me a custom gun is constituting all the essential components to maximize hunting, to include feeding, extraction, portability and accuracy,not paper punching. And those custom guns cost a bit more than 2 grand. For me, wouldn't include a 700 action. Just for the record, the attached target is from a Model 70 Safari Express, completely stock and topped off with a 1.75X6 Leupold with heavy cross hairs. Not exactly a "bench" gun, but it's taken a few head of game. That's accurate enough for me and so are my sub-MOA Weatherbys. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with Re-25 and 115 grain partitions.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, we most certainly are talking about two different types of guns as far as target shooting and hunting is concerned, but when I was saying what I did about Weatherbys I was comparing them to guns on the ilk, although with the liability factor coming into things lately there are some real dogs out there as far as accuracy is concerned. Good luck with your Weatherbys. Just where is Orange Park in Fl. and what are you sitting in in the picture on your posts.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Off blanding Boulevard. The jet's a T-2 Buckeye trainer, still in service and I am in the process of transferring to Pensacola where I'll be able to fly as an associate instructor in the same jet or the Texan turboprop as I head into retirement. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spend the winter in Pensacola, if you are there next winter maybe we can get together and do a little shooting. This past year I was invited to join a great club right in Pensacola, the Pensacola pistol and rifle club. I had been shooting at the Escambia River Muzzel Loaders and the new place has it all over the ERML. There are one or two benches that you can shoot both 100 and 200 yards from the same bench, raelly great.
How much time do you have left before retirement? The closest I have ever got to a jet was the back seat of a redone Mustang, and that was quite an experience. I had a Cessna 172 for 15 years or so, but have a real physical problem that keeps me from passing the physical. Good luck with the Weatherbys and let me know how your career is going now and then. Bob

Bob

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have at the mot two yers before I call it a day. That'll give me 30. When iwas stationed in P'Cola before, I used to shoot at the range off 9 mile road, used to be owned by the state and now privately owned. I almost joined that club you mentioned also. My in-laws do the same thing you do, only they go to PA. We belong to a hunt club in Alabama near Thomasville called Horse Creek. I'll be in touch. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, looking forward to talking to you.

Bob