Find
Notify
Tools

New brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
what is the standard procedure for new brass? i ran some new win 22-250 through my sizing die to straighten out some dented mouths. i also measured and found the shortest one, which was right on the recommended trim length of 1.902. Should i trim all to this length? What is the procedure for weight sorting?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never considered the first trimming (before loading) of "virgin brass" to "count" towards the brass service life.

Factory brass is often a bit long.

Yes, I would shorten all the cases to MIN length, or the "trim to" length before loading.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes, trim all to the same length. You can turn necks if you want, uniform flash holes & primer pockets. It just depends on the level of accuracy you are looking for & the manuf. of brass you start with. AS far as weighing, again it will depend on manuf. but I would group them in batches w/ vaariations no larger than 4gr. If it's Lapua, you are wasting time doing most of these things.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
what is the standard procedure for new brass? i ran some new win 22-250 through my sizing die to straighten out some dented mouths. i also measured and found the shortest one, which was right on the recommended trim length of 1.902. Should i trim all to this length? What is the procedure for weight sorting?

While it is certainly NOT necessary to trim any case that is under the "MAX" cartridge case length, IF a batch of .22/250 cases vary in length, and you find that the shortest one is right at the "trim to" length, I would go ahead and trim the rest to match it.

The .22/250 is a precision varmint rifle round, and I assume you will be shooting it at longer ranges and smaller targets. Thus you want the greatest unifiormity you can get from round to round. Equal length is one of the variables you can control-I would trim!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not trim it before your first firing as once it is fire formed to your chamber you will find it needs trimming again to get it all to the same length again.
FYI, that "trim to" length is not a saami measurement. It's merely a suggested length. If you have a case that is barely that length, you will find, once it is fired, it will be below that length. Once you have fired your brass, find the shortest one and trim them all to that length. Even if it is below the suggested trim to length. Won't hurt a thing.