New
Find
Notify
Tools

219 Zipper
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone loaded 219 Zipper? What type of rifle? I'm loading a 340 Savage and am at the lower starting charges to fire form brass. After comparing Hornady data and the data in Barnes COTW, the 55gr is really moving out, compared to the original factory loads. Think I'm going to stay 10% below Hornady max, do you all think this is prudent?
Thanks
mr

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR have'nt seen or heard ofthe ziiper in years but for wot its worth I dug through my old data for a .219 Iowned built on a P14 enfield 55grn try 21.5 of3031 as a starting point

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR FURTHER INFO YOU MIGHT FEEL USEFUL. turns out my dad used a zipper for years ; 45gn start loads;imr4198;20gns; imr3031;23gns. 50gn start loads; 3031;24gns; imr4895;23gns imr4320;25gns. 55gns start loads; imr4895;23gns imr4320;25gns H380;26gns. These where used out of a martini enfield converstion .There was also a .219 Donaldson Wasp but I'm unsure what the parent case was. hope you can find some of these loads useful ! As a matter of intrest they are all 10% below the max load my dad ever used. beer

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MR:
Has anyone loaded 219 Zipper? What type of rifle? I'm loading a 340 Savage and am at the lower starting charges to fire form brass. After comparing Hornady data and the data in Barnes COTW, the 55gr is really moving out, compared to the original factory loads. Think I'm going to stay 10% below Hornady max, do you all think this is prudent? Thanks
mr

The Savage 340 is not the strongest rifle in the world, with its' one-lug design. I'd stick with loads that are intended for the Winchester lever-action rifles, rather than ones developed for strong single-shots or Mauser-type bolt actions.

The .219 Donaldson Wasp is the .219 Zipper with the shoulder set back from 1.359" to 1.313" and the shoulder blown out from .365" to .404". It is also shortened to 1.715" from 1.938".

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EL-D thankks for the info on the wasp that cleared that up. the data I printed out for the Zipper came from my records ,but the bloke who gave em to me used a Winchester HI wall so I think that they'd be safe in the Old 340 action. ESpecialy as the origanal user all ways bordered on the side of coservitisium Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 219 Zipper was quite popular in Australia
so there is a fair bit of reloading data avail
in my old books, sing out if you want something
specific.
But why are you fire forming. I believe the Zipper was originaly designed from 25-35 Win case. It would normaly be made nowdays from
necked down 3030 brass. A friend of mine did it
one go in a FLS die, but he was a rough diamond.
The fancy way would be to Anneal, form die No 1,
form die No. 2, FLS with expander removed, trim
to length, FLs again (The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions, by John J. Donnelly.)
My mate used a martini conversion and got good
accuracy.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!
It started life a 30-30 I figured I'd keep the pressure down. I'm making brass with 25-35, and it needs to fire-form the shoulder.
Hope the weather works for me tomorrow.

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR HOPE GOES WELL FOR YOU PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON HOW IT SHOOTS.This has been quite the coversation piece around here! Seems every man &his dog has had something to do with the .219 at some stage of their shooting careers! In the area that I come from Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with me on a limited amount of new brass and a few loaded rounds. Cheechako is going to be receiving a good amount of 6mm-219 Zipper and 219 wasp brass this next week. He doesn't know it yet as it will be shipped Monday. papawlambert@starband.net

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote