THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with Quick Load tracking RL17 results?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been taking a few results from posts and trying to find a "mirror" powder on my QL.
What I've found in real life reloading is that QL "thinks" I4350 is hotter than it is...at least any of my lots.
What I've found by tracking some quoted velocities in several cartridges and using Alliants data is that RL17 seems to mirror I4350 guestimates for vel and pressure on Quickload.
I'm not saying that RE17 is a duplicate to I4350 in real life...just that it seems to be a mirror in performance to QL's guesses of I4350.
Anybody else using QL to try and forecast re17??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know myself. I'm thinking about trying it in a 9.3x62 with 270 Speers.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use QL and I think Alliant
may have overstated R-17 as to comparing it against IMR-4350. I'm sure in some rifles/caliber there may be gains. I've got a custom 270WSM with 58gr/IMR-4350 and 150gr bullet 3047fps with 58gr/R-17 same bullet @ 3024fps max load for IMR-4350 is 58.5gr, R-17 max load is 60grs.

In the 30-06 used less R-17 as compared to IMR-4350 and I got less velocity with R-17.

I'm going to try R-17 in some other calibers never know unless you try it.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky ----- I just started on RL-17 with .243 and .257 WSSM's. Only one session so far, I was impressed with speed and accuracy compared to W-760. Speed was less than IMR-7828SSC with same bullets. I have not tried it with my .270 WSM's, may do that today, weather permitting. First day impressions were good to excellent, more time will tell. I am most interested in accuracy with good speed, speed taking the back seat, if necessary. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
I don't use QL and I think Alliant
may have overstated R-17 as to comparing it against IMR-4350. I'm sure in some rifles/caliber there may be gains. I've got a custom 270WSM with 58gr/IMR-4350 and 150gr bullet 3047fps with 58gr/R-17 same bullet @ 3024fps max load for IMR-4350 is 58.5gr, R-17 max load is 60grs.

In the 30-06 used less R-17 as compared to IMR-4350 and I got less velocity with R-17.

I'm going to try R-17 in some other calibers never know unless you try it.

I guess I should have mention that I chronograph after I get a good load don't want anyone thinking I'm just chasing velocity. I was impressed with the groups in my 30-06 but I have other loads that groups just as good or better but with higher velocity.

phurley5, could you post what your getting with the R-17 in the 243?

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tom holland ----- Sure, don't have them in my head enough to quote, will get my charts and get back soon. Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
posted Hide Post
tom ----- I got my loading information from the Allient site. These are my top loads from a Browning A-Bolt .243 WSSM with Ziess 4.5 X 14 Conquest. Nosler partition blem, 210M primer, 42 gr. RL-17, Temp 80 degrees, two three shot groups, each approx. 1 inch, speeds 3164 and 3178 fps respectfully. ----- Second rifle a Browning A-Bolt 25 WSSM with Zeiss 4.5 X 14 Conquest. Bullet a 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip blem, 210M primer, 47.5 gr. RL-17, Temp 80 degrees, two three shot groups, both 1 inch but both put two nearly in one hole and the other 1 inch from them (probably the shooter not the rifle) speeds 3197 and 3240 fps respectfully. I will be trying the RL-17 on my two .270 WSM rifles in the near future. I use an Oehler 35-P chronograph. Hope this helps. Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My quickload results differ considerably from what folks are "claiming" they are getting within "safe parameters" in real life.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pop,
My experience with Quickload is that two settings matter a lot in regards to calculated chamber pressure and actual results. One is the seating depth or OAL and the other is the H20 capacity of the brass as compared to the default setting.

For example, AA2230 powder max of 44.8gr for a 200gr bullet is in Accurate's reloading manual at 60,000 psi measured. In Quickload with defaults it shows over 68,000psi. I measured 5 empty cases with the primer in and my H20 capacity is 58.6gr versus the default Quickload for 338 Federal of 57.5gr. When I change to the correct H20 amount it lowers the Quickload chamber pressure by over 3000psi. Now also Accurate's reloading manual uses 2.800 for OAL and I load to 2.919. That lowers the chamber pressure in Quickload to ~56,500psi. So you can see that by having the correct OAL/Seating depth and H20 there is a 12,000psi difference in the Quickload calculations. When I shot them in my rifle using a couple of grains over the max of the Accurate reloading manual (but safe from Quickload for my OAL and brass capacity) I saw no pressure signs at all in my rifle. I did work up, and used the higher max amounts based on other reloading manuals like Barnes.

I also had to change the weighting factor from 0.50 to 0.33 for 338 federal to more accurately match real world results in various reloading manuals. So my experience with Quickload is that settings matter, and requires a few tweaks to be right on.

N. Colorado

Posts: 6 | Location: N. Colorado | Registered: 15 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with you! Again it is just a guide not a panacea.

I noticed the same with most shooters shooting 200 grain slugs from their 300 RUMs at 3250 fps and saying these are safe loads.
Q/L says that there is no way you can do that safely. Who knows?

My rums maxed out (using visual signs and experience) at about 3100 fps or so.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote