Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherproof your ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Does anyone seal their bullets/primers with that sealer dye?

I haven't since I began reloading but the loaded ammo was always shot fairly quickly after being loaded. You will almost always see that the factory ammunition has a trace of this stuff being used.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've sealed the primers for a couple chamberings lately. Not really sure why but it made me feel better on a backpack sheep hunt.

I have never done the bullet and cannot bring myself to do so. Maybe for a super-wet coastal hunt of some kind, I would.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did for awhile and found that for 99.9999999999999999 percent of the time it is not necessary.

So I stopped

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hunting ammo: yes, for many years. Plinking ammo.....no! I use fingernail polish....by having color, it helps assure that I’ve sealed the primer completely! When I first decided to start sealing primers, the wife’s fingernail polish was readily available.

Quote:
I have never done the bullet and cannot bring myself to do so. Maybe for a super-wet coastal hunt of some kind, I would.

I grew-up in South Louisiana.....most days it was like a “super-wet coastal hunt”! Wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you try an experiment. Drop one of your regular, unsealed handloads into a container of water. Let it sit there for a few weeks, or however long you wish. Take it out, dry it off, and pull the bullet. The condition of the powder (as measured by its weight compared to when it was loaded) will tell you what you need to know about sealing ammunition.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son left a 300 rum round in his hunting clothes which were washed and dried twice. Shot fine at the range. Just a handload, nothing special.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arniet:
My son left a 300 rum round in his hunting clothes which were washed and dried twice. Shot fine at the range. Just a handload, nothing special.

Yes I've done this many many times over the years and can not recall one noticeable change to the ammo.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The only time I apply sealer to primers is when I go spear fishing diving and use a powerhead.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only time I apply sealer to primers is when I go spear fishing diving and use a powerhead.

Sharks?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my own personal consumption, I don’t use enough ammo throughout the year, to be bothered by additional few minutes “sealing” the primers on “hunting ammo”! I’ve needed a spare tire on my vehicle only once, during the past 8 or so years. I don’t want that “very” rare occurrence of a misfire due to wet/fouled primer, to be when I “NEED” the firearm to work! When punching paper or shooting varmints....it’s a non-issue! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is totally unnecessary; if it was, the ammo companies would offer it as an option. I too, have had ammo, and shotgun shells, washed in the washer; worked fine.
Military ammo is sealed.
Now, I actually do have several gallons of mil spec primer sealer if anyone wants some. $95 a gallon. Red primer sealer from a Govt ammo plant auction. One gallon will seal about 100K primers.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mentb:

Same here, haven't had a flat tire in over 20 years.

Yet, I've had both fronts on my Ram go flat in less than a month. WtH's up?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear a belt and suspenders so what .

I don't water proof my primers.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Asphalt, water based ammunition waterproofing sealant. Use by Military

Hernon® Bullet Proof 650

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Hernon Bullet Proof 650 is environmentally safe Asphalt, water based ammunition waterproofing sealant. Formulated to waterproof and seal the interface between a bullet and cartridge. Bullet Proof 650 is formulated for internal coating and sealing of small, medium and large caliber ammunition. On the larger caliber ammunition the sealant is used to coat the inside of the shells as a barrier coating to prevent the reaction of the cartridge and the ignition powder. Hernon’s Bullet Proof 650 is approved on the US Army TDP for small caliber ammunition.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, sounds like a great idea. A little bit of asphalt going down the barrel with each shot should keep things well-lubricated salute

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Hey, sounds like a great idea. A little bit of asphalt going down the barrel with each shot should keep things well-lubricated salute

Don't know what your thinking about but the primer sealing compound is on the out side of the case and never goes down the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've never found it necessary but if it worries you + you want to get off cheap,use nail polish.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Don't know what your thinking about but the primer sealing compound is on the out side of the case and never goes down the barrel.

Thinking about this: "Formulated to waterproof and seal the interface between a bullet and cartridge."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never have and never needed to..Ive never had a rifle misfire on me..I have had pistols fail to fire on rare occasions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote