New
Find
Notify
Tools

the .260 Rem. with 120s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
share you load with us on the .260 with 120s and medumn burn powder. For some reason mine dont like slow powders.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even my 26" M700VLS doesn't like slow powders (for best accuracy anyway) until I get to 140s. With 120s I have had the best luck with Varget, H4895 and RL-12. I had some good groups with RL-19 but never spent much time developing loads with it since the other powders worked so well. With 140s, RL-19 worked very well as did IMR4350.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4064 or H 414 for accuracy in my 260s...with the 120 Ballistic Tip...

4064 will give ya 2850 fps and H 414 will give you in the 2950 to 3000 fps range...

honorable mention go to RL 15, AR Comp, W 748, BLC2, IMR 4895, and IMR 3031.....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have been loading RL-15 for about 4 years now started with VARGET but 15 does better. been loading the .260 for about 6 years now. i load some IMR-4064. my best is 42.0 grs of RL-15 WLR primer 120 SIERRA S.P. shoots about .750 in cool weather. i have a target with this load. but dont know to post Smiler it. just wondering what other people loaded.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi, totally new to reloading and am anxious to start reloading, but want to have a lot of data to compare. I've had my new press and supplies for two months and have yet to make a round. I've read the manuals three times and have a couple friends that reload, but I'm the only one with a .260. I've found many different loads on here and am still hesitant to start with anything, but what is in nosler manual. My intent is a whitetail round/coyote round. This might also be used as a bench gun too. I'm a hunter and can only hope to shoot groups that many of you do. So here's the thing, do I break the number one rule of reloading (so I've been told) by using someone else's data that isn't published, or do I start with the Nosler manual? I was told I can't go wrong with H4831 H4350. Sorry for the long initial post, and thanks in advance for the insight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bowhunter, you can certainly start with Nosler, but you can also try other bullet manufacturer books, or the various powder companies. Hodgdon has data on line, as does Alliant. Just use your judgement. Most of the guys here give data that can be found in the manuals. When they are hot, people usually point it out.

And welcome to the site. There is an amazing amount of knowledge here, with a little BS thrown in for spice.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowhunter, good move. When you start reloading, go with a good published book from a major company. And the same goes for your reloading proceedures. Stick to the basics and forget about the exotic short cuts and info you'll read in cyberspace. If you would get more than one book, you could make a comparison. Many folks reccommend that you use the book for the bullet that you're loading. But many of the generic books, like the Lyman, are good too. For various reasons, not all reloading books agree.
Once you've reloaded for a while and have your feet on the ground, you can more properly evaluate the information in cyberspace.
welcome to AR.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
4064 or H 414 for accuracy in my 260s...with the 120 Ballistic Tip...

4064 will give ya 2850 fps and H 414 will give you in the 2950 to 3000 fps range...

honorable mention go to RL 15, AR Comp, W 748, BLC2, IMR 4895, and IMR 3031.....

Seafire!! Welcome back!

The only thing Ive used so far have been Hornady 129 grs. (both interlocks and SST's) they seem perfect for 260 huniting loads. 45.5 grs of Rlr 19 yeilds 2880 fs and some pretty decent groups. I was suprised to see the interlocks shot as well as the sst's.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any experience with the few 123 gr. bullets out there?