New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 savage bullet & load favorits
 Login/Join

<bearlake>
posted
Anyone have a savage model 10 series in 7mm-08? I am looking to get one and found out that they have a 9.5" twist with a 24" barrel. If anyone has this gun, what bullet weights have you found it likes? I would like to try some 160gr speer spbt for hunting, but have never had a 708 or a gun with a 9.5" twist.

ps. this is my first post.
I just found this site
it looks great. I am
glad i found it!!!!

thanks, tyler

<Chainsaw>
posted
Tyler, The present Savage catalog shows only the Model 10FP with the heavy target barrel in 24" Is that the one your looking at? What is your intended use for the rifle? Target or Varmint? The 10 Series weighs 8 1/2 lbs. and is probably better at target or varmint duty. If you are considering using it for deer, the Hunter Series in Models 11 and 111 might be a better choice. A number of powders that can be used for the 7mm-08 are IMO led by H414 and W760. I do believe that with the 160 grain bullets, you are looking at big game hunting. I would suggest you check out the Hunter series at www.savagearms.comClick on the Centerfire icon on the top of the page and then hunter series in left taskbar.

My hunting friend uses 120 grain bullets for whitetail hunting in his 7mm-08 with H414 powder and this combination is accurate and puts whitetails down extremely fast. Anyway check it out and post again.--------Chainsaw

[This message has been edited by Chainsaw (edited 12-12-2001).]

<hunting1>
posted
Mine loved Varget powder. I loaded alot of 100gr Sierras for varmit and paper, but the 140's BT flew awsome too! Good shooting!

<bearlake>
posted
Yes i am looking at the 10FP. I will use it for target shooting most of the time but also stand-hunting. My question was if the 1 in 9.5" twist of the 24" savage barrel likes bullets in the low, middle or heavy weight range? I would like to shoot the 160gr bullets because i like to shoot metal knock down targets. And i just like heaver bullets. I like the 10FP because of the heavy 24" barrel. This would be my first savage rifle. I am also looking at the savage Scout model in 7mm-08 for a light weight pack and camp rifle. If any one has either of these i would like to hear your thoughts on them!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You should have no problem with your 9.5 twist and 160 gr bullets. I have shot 154 gr Hornadies and 160 gr Sierra HPBTs from my 20" barrled M7 (9.5/1 twist) and M700 with a 24" Walther 9.5 twist with no signs of stability problems. The vel was not up to my expections in the M7 though and both rifles shoot the 120-145 gr weights with better accuracy so I dropped the heavy bullets with little experimention. I second Varget with the 140 gr and down weights, it`s a good choice. The 130gr Sierra MK over a stiff load of Varget is scary accurate in my rifles.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
My favorite 7mm08 load is a 140gr Nosler(BT or Part) over 44gr of Varget, Fed 210 primer. I have a 9.5 twist also, accuracy is fine. I have taken deer and bear(Part.) with this load. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of new powders available now that weren't when I was loading for my 7-08 so some of the other suggestions might be better than mine. At the time, my favorite load was 49 grains of W760 behind a 140 Partition (hunting) and 140 Ballistic tip (plinking). That gave me just under 2950 fps from my 22" A-Bolt and both bullets shot groups between 1/2" and 3/4" @ 100 yds. All from a rifle that was small, handy and light as a feather!

Deer, elk and antelope were taken with that load with great success.

As always, that was the max load in my rifle...start low and work your way up. Be safe.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
With your new Savage rifle you should get a paper that states what grain bullet was used for testing and product performance, with the 7-08 with 9.5 twist they use a 140gr. bullet so that would be the one that it is designed to do best with allthough it may still shoot heavier bullets just fine or better in some cases, I wouldn't know for sure because the Savage 110 7-08 I have is probably the 1 in 1,000 that just will not group, just my luck I guess. The only descent groups I can get with this rifle is using 42.7gr. Varget and Hornady 139gr. Interlock seated to the crimp groove and crimped firmly, 1.5 at 100yards-3 shot group.

<Lefty223>
posted
Bearlake:

I have the left-handed model 11FL, which wears the synthetic stock. The syn stock is OK, but a bit whippy out towards the end. I rough ground out the surfaces where the action sits and glass-bed the action to barrel nut. Will upgrade soon to a custom stock by Fred Wenig @ www.wenig.com .

Back to your reloading question. I had great luck w/ Nosler BTs and Sierra bullets in the 140gr range over Varget powder, using new Win cases, all match prepped.

To tell the truth though, as soon as I tried Hornady's "Light Magums" I stopped reloading !! My Savage loves these rounds, putting 3 shots into no bigger than 5/8" groups. I've had groups where all 3 were touching, one nice cloverleaf!! 5-shots groups have all been sub-MOA. Whatever it is, I bought 5 more boxes of the same lot 'cause they shoot & group like no round I've ever used.

BTW - the light mags push a 140gr soft-point out @ ~3000 FPS, probably less in my 22: barrel. One other thing, a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger set at $2 will really bring out the best in your rifle.

<bearlake>
posted
Lefty,
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a sharp shooter supply trigger. I thought that they were around $90.00. That is just what i read on a benchrest forum anyway? I will definetly have to try some of those "light mags". Thanks for all the great info guys!