New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Pressure Questions!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, lets start with a 7x57 Mauser. Most loads are at no more than 50,000 CUP. But only in a 98 action. The 7mm-08 is pumped to 52,000 CUP. The 280 is loaded to 50,000. Now here is a 270 Winchester loaded to 52,000 CUP. Now, I can put a 270 Winchester or any other chamber that tickles my fancy on a Mauser action, do I need to soften the loads?

Well, can any one share some real load data to make the 7x57 shine brighter than a 280+p?
Now don't hold back...

Later, Mauserkid

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 is a fantastic cartridge, but you really need to stick pretty close to the "book" loads. It simply doesn't have the capacity to be a .280 +P and can't be "hotrodded" to that level -- unless you want to seriously endanger yourself and anyone around you.

The beauty of the 7x57 is its mildness. It will do anything a 7mm-08 can do, and that covers a pretty broad range of hunting. ANd if you put a properly constructed bullet in the right place, that animal will never know if it started out at 3000 fps from a .280 or "just" 2800 from a 7x57.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Bobby, I don't know what you consider "hotrodding" with the 7X57mm, but I can tell you in both Ruger bolt action and single-shot rifles, the 7X57 will fire a 140grain bullet at 3000 FPS, a 160 grain at 2820, and a 175-grain at 2700, AND DO SO WITHOUT ENDANGERING ANYONE!!! I have personally developed such loads, and cases have lasted over 10 reloadings with all three loads mentioned. Now, of course, the .280 Remington will do even better, and the 7mm Rem Mag will beat both of the smaller cases. All else being equal, a larger powder capacity WILL ALWAYS permit higher velocities to be attained!! All that is required for this is the right propellant. For some reason, in today's manuals, the data shows loads for the 7mm Rem Mag that are almost down to 7X57 levels. This may be for liability reasons, but such loads make the 7mm Rem. Mag. no better than a .30/'06. If one cannot load his 7mm Rem. Mag. better than that, one might as well shoot Federal High-Energy .30/'06 ammo!!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
eldeguello-
I think you misunderstood my point: a 7x57 is in NO SHAPE, FORM OR FASHION a .280 and therefore cannot be made to safely duplicate a .280's top-end loads. Attempting such is not a safe practice by any stretch...

I used 2800 fps simply as a point of contention for a reasonably attainable velocity level (given 22-24" of barrel length and a modern firearm in good condition) with 140 grain bullets in the 7x57 and therefore listed 3000 fps for the .280, again a legitimate figure, albeit both are top-end numbers.

True, in experienced hands, these figures can be boosted slightly. But if I need 3000 fps from a 140 grain bullet, rest assured that I am not going to push the envelope and try such with the little Mauser.

Just curious: Have you ever put a strain gauge to these loads?

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not cross sectioned the 7x57 brass, but I would assume that it is like 8x57, .308, .243, and 45acp. I have worked up those cartrideges in Turkish 1903, Turkish 1938, and VZ24 1898 Mauser actions until the bolt had to be pounded open. Still there was never a change in headspace. I have had a pinched bullet in 243 with necked down 308 brass that caused the primer hole diameter to double. Still no change in headspace.

There seem to be two types of handloaders:
1) Those that look to a cartridge's and action's potential
2) Those that look to a cartridge's limitations deliniated in a load book.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:

There seem to be two types of handloaders:
1) Those that look to a cartridge's and action's potential
2) Those that look to a cartridge's limitations deliniated in a load book.

nope, there are ONLY two types
OLD reloaders
and
BOLD reloaders

there are NO old, bold reloaders!!!
LOL
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good mauser will take the same pressures as any other bolt action action...

A 7x57 can be loaded to 52,000 just like a 270 or 280, caliber has nothing to do with it. Action strenth is the limiting factor.

A 280 holds more powder so its faster, now that doesn't take a genious to figure out. I can get 2800 plus quite a bit more, out of 160 gr. bullet in some long throated 7 Mausers with H414 powder only. perhaps WW 760...

Actually the long throat will work in a a 257 and 8x57 also..these calibers are where you get big gains...Even old ackley acknowledged that the 257 and 7x57 showed the most improvment in his improved guns....Long throats don't work well in some other calibers for whatever reason.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first symptom of a destructively hot load is rarely catastrophic failure. Loads that are too hot usually simply age your firearm much faster than loads that are not.

There are firearms with lots of powder behind a small bullet that wear out a barrel in a few hundred rounds. If you want to do that to the whole gun, load as hot as you like. It's your gun. Just remember to divide the cost of your gun by the number of hot rounds you figure it will stand, and put that much aside for the purchase of a new gun.

In a few cases, I'll push a rifle to the published maximum. But for 95% of what I do, that gives me no extra benefit. So why do it? If you miss the recoil, get a short piece of 2x6, put it up against your shoulder, and have a friend whack it soundly with a 3 pound hammer.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Bobby, I apologize!! You are absolutely correct that the 7X57mm cannot be loaded to equal the .280 Rem. TOP END loads! It is also true that the 7mm/'08 cannot be loaded to equal 7X57 top-end loads. This applies to comparison of all cartridges based on the 57mm Mauser-type cases vs those based on the .308 Win. It all boils down to one basic fact: the greater the powder capacity in any given caliber, the more velocity that case will produce.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm I know these are improved cartridges, just thought I would throw a curve in here.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/757ackley.html
http://www.accuratereloading.com/280ai.html
You will notice that top loads for a 140 grain bullet are real close.

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, are you saying, "If the loadbook don't fit, you must a...a....a....quit"?

<.>
posted
Some of the older Mauser 98 actions are not heat treated like the newer ones. The 1893 Turk (I think 1893) is a different action than the Turk 1938.

The Turks took these older actions and re-tempered them. They also ground out a notch in the receiver ring to accomodate the 8mm stripper clip.

There is a LOT of variation in the Mauser receivers, especially the Turk receivers.

Lots of heavy, African game rifles are built on Mauser 98 receivers. But I'd get a smith to look at the components before putting something together.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1903 and 1938 Turkish Mausers dumped in this country by the millions over the past few years are basically Paul Mauser's 1898 design. The barrel threads are small like a '96, the the reciver outside diamter is the same as any '98, so the meat is in the reciever, not the barrel.

When I overload one of these and the primer is blown out, the gasses hit my face only after bouncing off quite a few things including the bench. It feels like 5 miles per hour breeze for one second, with an odor.