THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midsouth varmint nightmare .224 rifle bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
says that these are made by a major bullet manufacturer. Also says they are 55gr soft point bullets. Sound like Hornady to me?
Can anyone confirm this?

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You might ask bartsche about them. I seem to recall him posting about his results with them a while back.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know who makes them but they do a job on coyotes and pds in a 223 and 22-250 AI

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
You might ask bartsche about them. I seem to recall him posting about his results with them a while back.

Shot some 34gr. HPs today.

I have had nothing but good shooting with all the Varmint Nite Mare and Nite Mare Extremes.We are talking at least 6 different rifles here not counting those that I've given my buddies to try. They are the best bullet value on the market today. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 1000 of the 55 grain Extremes..

from what I got hinted at by one of their sales folks...

the nightnares are Hornady Bulk and/or Seconds..

the extremes are the same deal, but from Sierra...

of course I have also heard here in Oregon that Nosler was bulk supplying them also for a while...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Nightmare Xtremes and Midway Dogtowns in 20 cal. I've measured them, weighed them and miked them. They appear to be the same bullet and I alwasys assumed that they came from Nosler. Don't really know tho. They can shoot nice for the price

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to try them also. I have a 223 with a 1-9" twist, and a 22-250 with a 1-12" twist. Any problems with either bullet in either twist? I want to use the 223 on coyotes and other predators, fox, etc, and the 22-250 is strictly a prairie dog gun. Which bullets do you recommend for each application?

I hate to get stuck with 500 of the wrong bullets for my application. Any load data for above calibers? Do you just use Hornady load info for each? I have the latest Hornady manual.

Thanks.

Oh, and hey Seafire, I have some 223 blue dot loads loaded up to take to the range on sunday. I have 50 gr vmaxes loaded from 8 up to 12 grain increments to give them a go in my little stevens.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
I hate to get stuck with 500 of the wrong bullets for my application. Any load data for above calibers?

PM me your E-Mail Address and I'll send you what data I have for both cartridges. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and hey Seafire, I have some 223 blue dot loads loaded up to take to the range on sunday. I have 50 gr vmaxes loaded from 8 up to 12 grain increments to give them a go in my little stevens.

Keep us posted on how they work out for ya...

I was playing with 10 grains of B/D and a 55 grain bullet to imitate the 22 hornet, with one of my 223s, before deer season got me sidetracked...

those were real accurate...

13.5 grains of B/D and a 55 and/or 52 grain bullet is one of my most used loads in 223s....

the second is 14 grains of B/D and a 50 grain TNT...

BOOM

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
seafire,

I'll let you know how it goes, but now you have me wondering if I should have run those loads up to 14 grs in my progression and not stopped at 12 grs??

bartsche,

Sent you a pm, thanks for the offer.

Anyone shooting these bullets at coyote and fox in a 223? I'm wondering about exit holes and pelt damage? I'd like to be able to use one bullet for both, and bobcat if I ever get that lucky again. Trying to keep it simple.

Sure like the cost of those bullets though!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesFYI*** Been loading 34gr. HPs from Mid South today( Varmint Nite Mares) and noticed in my one box of 2000 all have a .002" excentric dimple on the shanks. So far I haven't noticed an ill effect in the accuracy. Just a friendly heads up. BOOMroger