New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbling primed brass?
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I have a bunch of primed (live primed) brass for my 338 RUM that hasn't been tumbled. I recently threw in the towel and ordered myself a tumbler, so I'd like to tumble them now. Is there a safety issue here? Please don't laugh if this is a big no-no!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You would stand to make several cartridges that will misfire if you do that as small pieces of the tumbling media will get caught in the flash holes.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One major problem with tumbling primed brass is that the tumbling medium can get lodged in the flash hole. This will severly hinder the performance of your loads. This is a minor nuisance for unprimed shells and I would expect the same problem to occur with a primer in place.

Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<M99ER>
posted
What's a bunch? Is it like a gaggle? or a flock? Maybe a herd? LOL

Why don't you get the Lee case length guage with shell holder and the cutter and lock stud so you can spin them in a battery drill and use #OOOO steel wool to clean them?

Sorry I'm all questions, aren't I? [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the possibility of a primer or two going off and making a mess of your afterwards "not so new" tumbler. Not a good idea.

Hey, do like M99 suggested except use your wifes green plastic dish washing cleaning pads, they work great. Not the red ones though.

M99 I think a "bunch" is closer to a "passle" or a "right smart" than a gaggle. Too many in a gaggle and a herd has 4 feet too many.

<phurley>
posted
MOA -- Might I ask, why do you want to tumble the primed brass. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the brass is just tarnished, then load it and shoot it (if it is properly sized, etc.)!

If it is really dirty, then you may want to carefully deactivate and punch out the primers and then tumble.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote