New
Find
Notify
Tools

military brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just got a lot of military brass with the crimped primer pockets. wanting to be able to load them. i know dillon makes a real good swager but it's a little high for me. rcbs makes one that goes on a press http://www.midsouthshooterssup...em.asp?sku=000449495 i assume this would be ok? they also make a primer pocket swag combo 2 and i'am not sure what the differance is but would like to know. i know it would be a lot slower than a dillon but it's a lot cheeper. if anybody has one please let me know what you think of it. gonna start using it on .223 but i can also get my hands on some .45 brass. thanks for the help

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kacole, you only remove the crimp once so, as you describe expensive, could be a tool you purchase once and spend the test of your life talking about it, years ago I purchased the BCBS case prep canter, with 5 positions available I keep a small and large primer pocket crimp removers installed, is necessary I remove the small one and install a primer pocket uniformer is necessary, and yes, after a few hours the hands start to lock up, about that time I take a brake, I do not get into mortal combat or have anxities with reloading and numbers.

The RCBS press operated tool you mentioned, No one reads the instructions or RCBS fails to mention the tool requires adjustment. The problem with adjusting is caused by the failure of the reloader to measure the thickness of the case head, 30/06 military case head when measured by those that can measure is .200, the problem is, not all military case heads are .200 thick so before starting to remove crimps with the RCBS tool sort the cases by case head thickness. The difference between military and commercial case head thickness can be .060 thousands, the commercial case head being the thickness.

Lyman sells a kit that comes with a hand crank and the cutters fit the RCBS case prep center, yes again, the case prep center is expensive but has more utility, and can be used every time a case needs prepped, point being I had rather have the prep center than an expensive tool that has one function.

Not all the cutters come with the prep center, check first. And if you had the cutter you could use a hand drill.

F. Guffey

http://www.lymanproducts.com/l...p/prep-care-kits.php

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kacole,
The RCBS tool works just fine. It is slow sure enough but it does a nice job. I don't know how many "a lot" is to you. I recently swaged about 450 .223 and that was plenty for me. If "alot is say 1000 or more I'd strongly suggest the dillon tool. I agree the Dillon tool is a little spendy and though I've never used one I would spend the extra cash to try one if I had a 1000 or more to do.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Currently using a Dillon. Expensive, eh? That does depend on quantity. I have and use a steady supply of once fired military brass. I started with Hornady hand held primer pocket reamers. After a few hundred .45 ACP and a batch of 500 .308. I decided to upgrade. I bought the RCBS swagers. I've never used them. I dropped out for a few years and last year when I started reloading again went with the Dillon. If I were to do ten or twenty large rifle cases today I might just ream them out since I'm set up for .223 on the Dillon. I am going to do a small batch on the RCBS to see how it works one of these days. I've heard from people who've used the RCBS and the Dillon that the Dillon is easier to use, one or two exceptions but it happens. For me, I do case prep in batches. I might sit down in front of the TV with 3 to 400 cases and swage them while watching TV. Then I can prime them in front of the TV, too. If you have a day or two to wait for an answer I can get the RCBS kit out and put it on a press.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Maybe some one in your neck of the woods can share for a day or two?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck your ordinary Forster or RCBS-type case chamfering tool into an electric drill (best if the drill is mounted in some stationary fashion or is a drill press). Remove the crimps just like they were burrs on the mouths of trimmed cases. This is quick, cheap, and simple; and it results in a primer pocket that is very slightly chamfered so that primers don't try to hang up on the edge of the pocket.

I own and have used one of the swaging tools. It requires a lot of pressure on the press handle and even then it doesn't always clean up the primer pocket sufficiently (that extra brass has to go somewhere!)

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The amount of metal that needs to be removed is very small. If you use a tool that is chucked into a drill motor, be very careful that you don't get too zealous in it's application.
I use one of the little hand-held reamer gizzies. It only takes a turn or two to clean up the primer pocket. I'll sit down to watch TV with a bowl of milsup ammo and trim them out.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have used several case chamfering tools for the job. My favorite is the L.E. Wilson Chamfer & Deburring Tool (approx. $15). As Stonecreek and wasbeeman state, you don't have to remove very much metal. I just make a small chamfer on the primer pocket so the primers don't get caught on the edge of the pocket. I have noticed that some military brass requires a little more pressure to seat the primer (even after chamfering), but I've never had problems with that.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I personally use a Dillon. I use and get quite a bit of military brass and find this is a quick and easy tool to remove the crimp. Is it expensive, compared to having your hand turn into a claw and cripple a grown man, not a bit. This hobby is worth saving money but only if you enjoy yourself. I will go through and punch all of my "new" brass and I have it set up when i get range brass in case I miss some military brass. If the 550 starts to meet resistance on seating the primer I just pop out the brass and swage it and continue on. WELL worth the money in my opinion.