New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making best use of gun vault space
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to use the space on the interior of my vault door to somehow hang my handguns. It's wasted space now. It's carpeted and velcro sticks well.
I've looked at those bags with pouches for shoes that hang on the back of a closet door but the pouches are too shallow to hold a pistol and some of mine weigh 3 to 4 pounds. Any ideas?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Many of the safes I've seen have pegs welded to the door for handguns. Pegboard with some small spacers behind could also be screwed to the door for the same effect.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I put peg board on the doors of mine.

It works really well to change the hooks around to hang whatever you want.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I don't know how your carpeting is attached to the inside of the door, but if you can remove it for a short time you might be able to weld or screw something to the steel plate, then cut holes in the carpet and reattach it. I have a safe from Homeland Security with integrated pistol hangers in the door that are built this way. It's slicker than dog snot.

Look at this:

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pegboard here too, pegs covered with tubing.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see vaults with all the rifles in $3 gun socks, butts on the floor lining the left and right sides. More long guns in gun socks are placed in between with muzzle to the floor. The pistols are in $3 pistol mittens are chinked in every crack between the long guns. When that safe fills up, get another and place the two safes along side each other.

My own gunspace is lined with 1x4 boards with 1/2" pegs for vertical storage of long guns like in a gun store. The pitols are in tool boxes stacked up in the middle as are long gun hard cases. Soft gun socks are folded and draped over the boxes. WHen the door is opened, the drill is to take out the gun socks, cases, and pistol boxes before the long guns are accessed. I put labels like price tags on the muzzle so I can idenify the long gun. Military guns that all are much the same, are given a rank of bore quality. " #1 VZ24" is easily picked out of the forrest of muzzles.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the many suggestions. In the end I bought the 2 piece velcro attachment straps from Browning. So far so good in holding a scoped 44 mag in place.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Send all your guns to me and use the safe to store your beer in...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Send all your guns to me and use the safe to store your beer in...

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote