THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many of you guys use vickerman seaters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Oldies but goodies. How many of you guys are still using Vickerman seating dies?

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a sliding sleeve seater with a loading port?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the one! Getting harder to find these jewels these days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Ackley there is some description of how to make dies.
He calls some of them "Vickerman dies".

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the Vickermann seater differ from the RCBS Compatition seater, other than the micrometer head?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of the Vickerman die made by CH, which sits in the same yellow plastic "box" as my Lee Collet die. I use it infrequently, but have no complaints about it. Btw, CH still has inserts for those dies. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Vickerman seaters since the mid-60's. They are still being made by GMW, Inc. at www.castingstuff.com . I recently had one made up to seat .312 cast bullets and it is a fine product. Delivery time was very, very long, but it is a good tool. I have Vickerman dies in .224, 30 cal, 6.5, 458 and .312.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maven can you provide an address on CH for the inserts on the Vickerman seaters. I have a few of the seaters but if i had a source for the inserts, i could expand the line up.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have here some Krupp-American sizing and seating dies that I got for cheap at a gunshow.
In the box is a 6.5x55 neck die and ecapping stem.
There is also a sliding sleeve seater with a loading port.
I don't think these are very good Vickerman dies, the sleeve that has the taper to center the brass has a hole that is .269" go, .270" no go. The .264" bullet would have .005" clearance.
And the sleeve to die body fit is about as bad again.
And the looseness of the seating stem threads to threaded bushing to theads in the die body is about as loose again.

In contast, my sliding sleeve Forsters are really nice, and have a spring that keeps the case shoulder to sleeve fit tight for concentricity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MAFM, The address is C-H Tool & Die/4-D Custom Die Co.
711 N. Sandusky St.
P.O. Box 889
Mt. Vernon, OH 4305-0889

Their tel. no. is 1-740-397-7214. They also have a website: www.ch4d.com and e-mail: chtool@amnet.net

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote