New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple Shock x Bullet ?
 Login/Join

<450ackley>
posted
Has anyone had any experience with the Barnes triple shock X bullet. I shoot 200 grain Nosler Accubond in my 300 Ackley and they shoot fast, accurately and really knock down game.
I am looking for a .264 (6.5) bullet for the 6.5STW and 6.5-06AI. No nosler Accubond available, but Barnes has 130 grain triple x bullet.

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
I just began loading the Triple X in my 35 Whelen. This is a rifle I built off an old Mauser VZ24 action with a Douglas barrel, and a Leupold 4X scope...nothing fancy in other words. I've fired Nosler Partitions and Sierra SBT for 5 or 6 years in this rifle with ho-hum accuracy. When i switched tio the Triple X and began using a different case sizing method, my groups REALLY began to shrink. Just this morning I fired a 4 shot group that measured 1.2" with the first 3 shots going into .595". This is quite typical. In 8 different loads with this bullet I have ONE 4 shot group that went over 1.5"...it was 1.67". Typically 4 shots will go into 1"-1.25" with three of those four going well under 1". Not bad for a military action and a 4x scope.
My father bought some for his 7x57 and had immediate success also.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
<450ackley>
posted
Thanks for the info. Have you run the loads through a chrono and compared them to nosler's. how is the pressure compared to nosler's ?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I love the way they shoot in my 7 Mag and used 140 grain TSX for antelope this season. At 286 yards it gave 1/2" entrance hole through a rib and a little over 1" exit hole through the front of the chest.

Posts: 12706 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Sorry, i meant to include that info in my original post. In my 35 Whelen, with the Nosler, it 58 grs. Varget to achieve 2640 fps. With the TSX it took 60grs. of Varget to achieve 2648 fps. No pressure signs with the 2 additional grains of powder.
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
<450ackley>
posted
Thank You, it seems that most people give the Triple X a thumbs up. Has anyone used the 6.5 130 grain Triple X ?