Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using Nosler Seconds
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Anyone out there using the seconds sold at the plant or on the Nosler web site?

Shoot the same, as accurately . . . any surprises making them less than a bargain??

Nosey folks want to know! [Razz]

LouisB

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LouisB,
Yep,use lots of them.
My understanding is that most are over runs,or cosmetic blems.
I have never found the 2nds to be any less in quality from the ones you buy retail.
We like to get a small group together and take
a drive over to Bend,make a day of it so to speak.
We take orders from guys at the club,and buy alot when we go.
I understand if you buy X amount the shipping is free,have never done this myself,but others have commented on it.
These bullets are in limited qty so be prepared
for a small or depleted inventory.
Get on the Nosler mailing list,they will send you a flyer occassionally letting you know if the have an excessive inventory.
Z

Anyone out there using the seconds sold at the plant or on the Nosler web site?

Shoot the same, as accurately . . . any surprises making them less than a bargain??

Nosey folks want to know! [Razz]

LouisB
[/QUOTE]

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased seconds at the store located at the Nosler plant and have found them to be a pretty good deal.

I did have mixed results with some 180 grain 30 caliber Partitions, finding they did not shoot groups as good as the "firsts".

However, I have had very good results with the varmint bullets I have purchased there. I was there this summer and bought a thousand 50 grain Ballistic Tips to shoot in my .223 and 22-250.
I have loaded some up and have gotten 1/2 inch groups with them in both guns.

The store in Bend is a great place to shop and the people are very helpfull and friendly.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have never had any problems with the seconds ...in fact several weeks ago i bought 50 packets of 180 gn noslers
daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Oops,
I find out the bullets are good shooters as I would have expected and then I find the web page I have lists the bullets, but does not have any feature for ordering!

Is the purchase of seconds limited to "onsite" purchase only?

LouisB

Dang I hope not there are some savings here and there compared to what I am used to!

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call them and order over the phone.
I use them all the time, can't tell the difference from first.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Do they sell them in 100ps lots, etc. or by the pound?

Bolt

Posts: 18 | Location: Humboldt, Ks | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolthandle,..they sell them as 50 or 100rnd bags.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wish they had some 300gr 375 caliber Partition 2nds....

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JustC: hows the price on these?

I know bullets at Sierras outlet store are about 15% less than the boxed No.1s that Midway sells.

Bolt

Posts: 18 | Location: Humboldt, Ks | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to what they have in stock and the prices. Both availabiltiy and price does change. Not sure if they do it any more, but at one time if you bought 10 bags at once, shipping was free.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/2ndsHeader.html

I have used
6 mm - 95 and 100 grain PT
270 - 150 PT (on sale at $8/50 at the time)
7 mm - 140 BT 140 PT and 160 AB
308 - 125 BT, 150 BT and 168 BST
338 - 180 BT, 200BT, 210 PT, 225 PT and 225 AB

all worked just fine.
Getting one hole groups with the 7mm 160 AB

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dang... you guys are advertising this! [Big Grin] They only can sell so many, For whoever bought all the 225 grain 35 cal, leave some for me next time [Wink]

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nosler's policy on seconds changes from time to time over the years. I have been buying their seconds and using them with complete satisfaction for about 40 years. On more popular items, such as varmint bullets, on phone orders they often put on a limit of 200 per order....or at least they used to. Sometimes, though, if you are going on a big prairie dog shoot, or some such, you can sweet talk your way into 500 or more of them.

With the items which are not as popular, it is often possible to buy more at a time.

As these are "seconds" and their goal is to make NO seconds, the supply of any given item is often depleted or very low.

Usually, if you vist their "pro" shop in person, you can get more of any particular item than if you call by phone, if it is in stock at all.

For hunting purposes, I have never been able to detect a practical difference between their "firsts" and "seconds" except for non-functional cosmetics.

I believe in them enough that I always have several thousand "seconds" on hand for my own use.

AC

[ 10-13-2003, 06:10: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think after this posting, that Nosler is considering only making their factory seconds to residents of Oregon, or any one that we residents personally approve.

You out of state guys, save some of them for us local boys!!!

We like to share here in Oregon, but don't get greedy on us!!
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Nosler seconds for several years now. In 6.5mm, 270, 7mm, and 30 cal. Very good accuracy,attractive prices, and GREAT game performance.

Posts: 37 | Location: TN | Registered: 08 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bolthandle,...they are priced about $200 less than the regular bullets from the best wholesaler I have found. If you buy I think it is,...5 bags or more,...they pay the sipping over $6.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are these factory outlets? Any on the east coast, for any manufacturers? This sounds like a great opportunity to hit my wife with her own logic..."It was on clearance, I didn't spend $200, I saved $300!!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nosler does have a toll-free 1-800 number to its Pro Shop, where you can order "seconds" over the phone. I don't have the number at hand at the moment, and am about to leave for the 180-mile jaunt to Portland so can't look it up right now.

You can get it, though, by calling 1-800 Directory Assistance. (That's 1-800-555-1212)

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey. ALLLRIGHTTTT!! They had 270/130 Solid Bases available there, and I scarfed up a pile. Hoooeeyy Baby!! Hmmm. Maybe the missus was right - this 'Net thing is really eating into our disposable income [Smile]

Hello jason - welcome. Great logic, by the way
quote:
..."It was on clearance, I didn't spend $200, I saved $300!!!!
R-WEST

[ 10-14-2003, 22:45: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I don't buy Nosler bullets from dealers anymore, I buy them directly from Nosler Shop....seconds. Excellent bullets.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, Good info. [Smile] Trigger, thanks for the website. [Big Grin] Funny, but the website shows a price for the 270 cal 130 gr SOLID BASE bullet; I thought they discontinued the solid base bullets some years ago. [Confused] HMMMMMMMM Anyway, does anyone know what the shipping runs and if there's any additional handling fee? Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought 200 of the 270/130 Solid Base. I'm not sure why they are seconds. Appearence,weight and diminsion where exactly as my hoarded stock of the orginal. At the range they grouped out of my 270-08 AI well, the best being a .327". At $8.95/50 is a good price considering I was paying upwards $30 for a box of the orginals.
Bill

Posts: 16 | Location: Penna. | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats all I use if they are available and I have used them in Africa, Alaska, the pacific NW and in the arid SW.....

This year I used the new 416 seconds on Cape Buffalo and its the finest bullet I have ever used on the bachlor bulls, but a bit too penitrative for herd shooting, but thats OK I like the 370 gr. Northforks and the 450 gr. Woodleighs for herd shooting and they three all shoot to near the same POI, with just a very little difference in vertical dispersion in my rifle...All within 3 inches at 50 and 100 yards..

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote