New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Prep
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is the scenario of what I do to prep once fired brass prior to reloading. I mainly want opinions or comments on whether I am doing correct procedure, overkill, or just a OCD perfectionist.
1. Clean in tumbler using corn cob
2. Size and deprime
2a. If necked tumble again to remove lube using corn cob
3. Bevel outside and inside neck
3a. If military I slighty bevel primer hole using the inside neck tool on prep station
4. Clean and size primer flash hole
5. Remove military crimp if one
6. Brush clean the primer pocket
7. Then uniform cut the primer pocket to same depth.
8. Return all brass to a different tumbler for high polishing with treated walnut & a dash of Flitz.

After this I store them for later or start reloading, depends on my current inventory of that caliber.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi ML,

I do similar. For handgun ammo I clean all cases in the vibrator,check case mouths for any attention needed then store in airtight containers until their turn comes on the Dillon 650. For rifles that I will load on a semi progressive, I size and deprime. Then polish in the vibrator, then check primer pockets for any attention needed, also then check case mouths for any attention needed. Store in an airtight containers until their turn comes around.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You left out case trimming and neck turning.

....and I do more lube wiping than tumble after every step.

You are NOT OCD unless you turn the necks! LOL

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Depending on the rifle you may be doing too much or you may be leaving a tenth of a minute in the details.

I corn cob tumble, size and deprime, trim, decrimp the primer pocket, then ultra sonic clean to delube. For any semi auto this will get you to the level the rifle will shoot, up to a National Match rifle or most long range sniper type matches. For F Class, may add flash hole deburring and annealing. If you move up to bench rest add the neck triming and primer pocket uniforming. Some where in F Class you will start weight sorting cases.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I deprime my cases before tossing into the tumbler (I use a Lee decapping die). It allows me to inspect my cases for cracks, wear, etc. It also has the added benefit of allowing the media to clean the flash holes. Plus it allows me to recycle my brass for ca$h as my recycling center won't accept brass with a spent primer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steps #1, 4, 6, & 7 are superfluous and won't result in any measurable benefit.

Neither will polishing your brass, but I like to do it simply for aesthetics. And, it is an easier way to remove any lubricant from the cases.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the input, it is great.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Step 1 protects your dies. Gets dirty, sand, and grit off of the cases.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote