THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Neck turning...how does a trimmer attachment stack up to a hand held?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck turning...how does a trimmer attachment stack up to a hand held?
 Login/Join

<Oilburner>
posted
I almost split the cost of a Sinclair setup with a buddy but we decided to do some more research. Right now, we are comparing the Sinclair 1000 to the handheld Forster and the Forster trimmer with neck turning attachment.

What are pros and cons of each?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Sinclair as the case trimmer ones are junk.
Do it right the first time and it will be money saved.

<Oilburner>
posted
I would really appreciate more information...which have you owned?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Forster cast trimer & bought the neck turning attament for it I don't have anything to compair it to but I think it works great.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OILBURNER;
Forster also makes a hand-held outside neck turner, Midway lists it for $42.20 and the pilots are $7.74 each. Make sure when ordering the pilots from Midway you specify pilots for the hand held neck turner. I've been using one for about two years now and am well satisified with it. It is made the same as the Sinclair unit but about $20.00 less.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Have three forster outside neck turners and they work like a small lathe! It is best to make at least two cuts, first very small amount off neck and second to size. You develop less heat and do less damage to the case. To save money try E-bay, I got two there for what you may pay for one. Buy the adapter for a powder tool like a cordless drill they really make a better cut then turning that crank with a lot of cases. Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I have both the Sinclair and the Forster which which attaches to their trimmer. For precision the Sinclair is by far superior. I never use the Forster attachment any more. Had I to do it over again I would get the K&M. Its precision is down to the .0000". You don't see benchrest shooters using anything but the hand held, simply because they are more precise. If you are merely turning major rough spots off a neck to get the neck thickness down to within .002", then I suppose the Forster is fine. If necks in brass are that far off I usually dump them and buy better brass. Incidentally, I would never recommend turning necks for any hunting rifle with a factory chamber. It is counterproductive.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Oilburner>
posted
Bob,

I have always followed that advice and refrained from turning necks for my rifles which all have standard chambers. However, in this case my .308 necks are now thicker after 6-8 reloads. Neck diameter is .3412" vs .3383" or, +.0029". I am using a 336 bushing in the my Redding die so I believe it's time to toss the brass or turn the necks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob338,
I too have a Forster, and most of my new brass is .001 and I do not choose to improve it to .002Frowner

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If all you want to do is thin down the neck, a inside reamer mounted in your case trimmer will do that for you (and get rid of the "donut" at the neck shoulder junction).
Where the OD neck turner is realy for, is making the neck the same thickness all the way around.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Forrester lathe type and cant wait to improve to the K&M. The collet in the Forrester will "cock" the case when tightened on a mandrel that is less that VERY tight, creating uneven thickness every time. The hand types cutter to mandrel distance is maintained with no torque on the case head so it's WAY more accurate.

As Tailgunner said, the reamer will bring overall thickness back down if that's all your after. It will however leave inconsistancies in thickness that only outside turning will clean up.

Anybody got a K&M they want to give up?

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote