New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee factory crimp dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in need of a die to just crimp so it can be put in a turret press behind the seating die . I can either buy another seating die or buy a Lee factory crimp die. Any advantage in going one way or the other? I am loading 9mm's. Thanks

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Factory crimp die works great even if the brass is not exactly the same length, hard to go wrong with it. Just the right amount of crimp and very repeatable.

Posts: 48 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need a taper crimp die. The 9mm headspaces on the case mouth, so you should not press the case mouth into the bullet. The taper crimp just straightens out any belling of the case mouth.

Just checked the Lee site and see that they do make a carbide factory crimp die for the 9mm and it is a taper crimp die.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second that - taper crimp. You need to set it to just take the bell out from the expansion, but need enough to headspace on. I also would check that it held the bullet enough from setback by measuring OAL, the using a block of wood press hte head of the case with the bullet nose againts the side of my wooden bench. Then remeasure. You dont want the bullet setting back after hitting the feed ramp

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Lee product I own is a FCD for .45 ACP. I had to put a drop of locktite in the adjustment to keep it from drifting. Works great.

Eddie