Find
Notify
Tools

44 Spl shot loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Anyone have any loading data using Speer shot capsules and 44 Spl cases??

LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 6.7 grains of unique cci large pistol primers and 7 1/2 shot.this is the load listed in the speer manual #13.This is a surprisingly potent load for gophers and grouse out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel on my my super Blackhawk Hunter.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey TC, Since gophershooter answered your question, I'll just comment that the Speer Shot Capsule Loads are absolutely excellent from 357Mags. I've no doubt they will be as good or better from the 44Spl or a 44Mag.

Like gophershooter, we use a larger shot size that allows more retained energy on the critter. We use ours for Snakes in our SE Swamps. They sure make you feel good wading around when you have the Shot Loads close at hand.

I have a very old sack of #7 we load from, but will go to the #7 1/2s when they are used up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
after shooting such a bullet (shot shell) do you have to clean your barrel befroe you shoot your 44 mag bullets

Posts: 40 | Location: toronto | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jason, The Speer Shot Capsule does a good job of keeping the Lead Shot off the rifling in my revolver. It has done the same for a couple of other ones that my buddies use as well. But, that is speaking for a very small amount of firearms.

The Capsule is a good bit heavier than the plastic used to cover shot in a factory cartridge. And, most of the factory Snake Loads use very small size Shot. I'm not sure if the "shot string" is completely enclosed in all of the factory ammo or not.

I know that doesn't answer your question with a definitive answer. I'd only be guessing if I said otherwise.

They are very inexpensive, about $5/50 Capsules. Check with one of the folks at any Skeet/Trap or Sporting Clays Range to get a small amount of Shot to try for yourself if you do not load Shotgun Shells.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote