New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulling bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently had a mess up with my reloading scale. I had to pull bullets and dump the powder. Question, does pulling the bullets harm them? I've never had to do this before, and I wonder if the pulling collett could affect the bullet.

Posts: 29 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2drifters:
I recently had a mess up with my reloading scale. I had to pull bullets and dump the powder. Question, does pulling the bullets harm them? I've never had to do this before, and I wonder if the pulling collett could affect the bullet.

The collet doesn’t usually effect them, at least mine doesn’t. Hell, a number of people use nipping pliers to remove bullets and reload them again with no ill affects on accuracy.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read articles and seen pictures of targets where bullets were deliberatly distorted forward of the ogive with little effect on the accuracy. Aft of the ogive --the body of the bullet-- was another case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use both a collet and a kinetic puller. I use the collet for my .223 bullets which are mostly for plinking. I use the kinetic for the Sierra MatchKings that go through my target rifle. I have shot many a pulled bullet and have not seen much effect on accuracy, if any. Were your bullets crimped into the cases? I have buggered-up many a .223 that I had crimped. Those I just blast away for fun...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. These were .270 Win. with 130 grain Nosler accubond bullets. Not crimped. Sounds like they should still be good to go from all the comments here.
Thanks again.

Posts: 29 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote