New
Find
Notify
Tools

444 marlin in a single shot bull barrel
 Login/Join

Picture of .357
posted
Anyone have info about using BLUE DOT (the newer batch)

Bullet Weights and Grains? mostly jacketed hornady xtp bullets 300 grain

or should i be looking at solids to push them hard ?

If you cant behave... be careful

Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Manitoba Canada | Registered: 19 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your going to be pushing them hard I don't think blue dot would not be my choice. 4198 reloader 7 or something like that.

Bludot just seems to fast to me.

Don't need solids for sure I have shot resized 300gr 429 bullets in my 416 at 2600fps plus with out ay trouble.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GMDR has some 240gr cast bullet Blue Dot loads.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Forget blue dot if you want full loads with jacketed bullets; that would be for light cast bullet loads. There is plenty of load data out there for the .444.
Solids?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BlueDot will work fine for moderate loads in the .444. I use it in my .45-70 Contender carbine with 300-grain bullets at ~1400 fps, no excess pressure signs and outstanding accuracy - with low recoil. It bulks up well in the .45-70 case and it will in the .444 too. However I have no loading data for the .444.

BlueDot is NOT a replacement for slower powders if top velocities are wanted, it gives lower speeds and lower recoil....but the pressures are not necessarily low.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Blue dot=reduced loads.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of .357
posted Hide Post
Thank you ....i think i will stay with factory loads for hunting and use the lesser blue dot loads for plinking cant have both with one powder! homer

If you cant behave... be careful

Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Manitoba Canada | Registered: 19 March 2012Reply With Quote