New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new dillon press and it doesn't take stick powders very well so I have to change to ball powders. All my manuals give a list of burning rate but no list of powder types. Does anyone know where I can find a list that tells powder types and numbers. Thanks Rob Sr.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There is no list I`m aware of that covers all the powder companies offerings. I`d check the various web sites and find what your looking for there. I can say that Winchester powders are all "ball" type. Also if you are loading handgun ammo (assuming because of the dillon press) "flake" type powders normally meter quite well and may be worth looking at.

[ 03-28-2003, 06:45: Message edited by: Ol` Joe ]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Metallic Cartridge Reloading, 3rd Edition by M.L. McPherson lists a composition and burning rate chart:

Manufacturer
Powder name
Granule size
Percent of nitroglycerin
Bulk density
Suggested primers
Primary uses

This is the 1996 edition and does not include the newest powders such as the Ramshot line, but for whatever reason no 4th edition has been published.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I do load for several calibers, pistols and rifles including 2 magnums, and all will be loaded in the dillon press. I have it set up right now for the /06, and the next two will be the 223 and the 45 acp. I have around 12 calibers that I will load on it eventually. But my concern right now was for rifle powders. Thanks again, Rob Sr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is from memory so here goes.
Extruded Stick Powders
IMR Hogdon Alliant
4198 H4831 RL15
4064 H4350 RL17
3031 H4227 RL19
4831 H4198 RL22
4350 H4895
4227 Varget
4895 Benchmark

Ball Powder
Winchester Hogdon
W760 H380
W748 h414
H335
H322
BL-C2
H870
Flake
Alliant IMR
Herco 700X
Unique 800X
Red Dot
Green Dot
Blue Dot

That's the more popular one that I can remember off the top of my head. This should get you started. H4831 also comes in H4831SC for short cut to help it meter thru measures better.
Good Luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a burnrate chart from the Hodgdon site that has all powder companies listed.

Burn rate

<eldeguello>
posted
Several reloading manuals have a list of available powders listed in APPROXIMATE order of relative quickness. The most recent one I have is from the VV powder importers, Kaltron Pettibone. This allows you to see that for example, WW760, H414, and IMR 4350 are very similar in relative quickness (burning rate). BUT this does not mean you can DIRECTLY substitute the loading data of one of these for one of the other ones!! YOU MIGHT be able to use the same starting loads, and work up each load independently, but this is not even guaranteed to be safe!! Always use the starting load data for each specific type of powder when you want to do load development!!

[ 03-30-2003, 01:32: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I found the answer at reloadbench.com, just follow the lynks to the powder and they have a real good breakdown to the powders. It's the physical properties that I wanted, I needed to know what was ball powders so I can choose one for the rifles. The only draw back to the site was that the list wan't up to date. Thanks again, Rob Sr.