New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready to give up on Barnes TSX 85gr. in .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have tried IMR4350 and now Varget. I cannot get a group less than 1.5" at 100 yds.and most are more than that. I am using a COL of 2.700" and tried 2.720" and even some in the 2.680+/- and still no luck. Using the cleaning rod technique and also the dummy cartridge technique I am getting about 2.750" to lands in a Savage Model 11 bolt action.

Anyone have something that works? Ready to try anything. Frowner

Wayne

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this rifle shoot with other loads? I and others here have had very good success getting TSX bullets to shoot well. But if you have a rifle problem of some sort, the current results might be very good all things considered.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 243 but I've have very good results with the TSX bullets in my 338-378 and 30-06. The 30-06 doesn't like partitions so you might be running into this problem. Your rifle just may not like the TSXs. Try a factory load with TSX bullets and see if you get the same results. If the factory stuff works you just need to find a powder that yours likes.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wayne, I share your frustration with the Barnes TSX. Due to the ignorant lead bullet ban that is about to be imposed on most of California, I have been testing the Barnes in a number of rifles.

In some rifles, they shoot quite well. I tried them in my 300 WBY the other day and shot a 0.27 inch group. I shot five groups with them in my 7 Wby Mag and the worst one was an even inch. My 25-06 and my 300 WSM also shoot them well.

However, my 270 WSM does not shoot them very well at all. I have really struggled to get the groups under 2 inches. I finally settled on a load of RL 22 behind the 130 TSX that shoots about 1.3 inches over and over.

My 7-08 was the worst of the bunch. It is a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. Even with that wimpy little barrel it will shoot 1 inch groups with any of the Nosler 140 grain bullets, partition, ballistic tip, Accubond, just pick one.

I elected to try the 120 TSX in that 7-08 and darned near gave up before I found a load. I shot up well over a box of TSX bullets before I was happy. Most of my groups approached 3 inches at 100 yards. I tried IMR 4895, H 4895, IMR 4350, H 4350, Varget, etc. I tried Fed 210 primers, WLR primers, etc. etc.

Just on a lark I tried 43 grains of IMR 4064 and a Fed210M primer and the thing now shoots great. I have fired three groups with that load and they measured 0.50, 0.70, and 0.74 inches!!!

So, if you really want to shoot that bullet, keep trying. I would try a match primer, though it may not make any difference at all.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle shoots well with Sierra 75g. HP and Blue Dot 19 gr. and Sierra 100g. BTSP with IMR 4350 at 42 gr. It also does well with Hornady V-max 65 and Varget - all loads mentioned sub MOA. Can't get the Barnes TSX to shoot though.

Might have to try using Factory ammo with Barnes and see if it works as Heat suggested. If it does I might just use it and not bother reloading for it since it is for hunting.

How does the Sierra 100g. BTSP doing about 3000 fps. do for deer and hogs. Maybe I have what I need already. Thanks to all for the responses.

Wayne

>
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your gun may not like the TSX. Frowner You've tried enough seating depths that that isn't likely the problem.

Here's a link to Barnes' load data for the .243 from their website: Barnes 243 load data

I'd try those two powders about .05 off the lands and see what happens. Also, I've had TSX accuracy improve dramatically as I approached a max load, so if your other loads weren't max then I'd keep going up (safely) on the powder charge.

Here's some TSX loading guidelines from Barnes you might find helpful: Loading the TSX

Good luck.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I shot a 6mmRem at deer for years using hornadys 100Gr BTSP, worked like a charm. They should work pretty good on the pigs too.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Some guns will shoot the copper bullets and some don't. I tried the original "X" bullets long ago and promised myself I would never do that again. I was horrified at the patterns that my otherwise very accurate rifle produced with copper bullets. The folks at Barnes say they have fixed the problem with leaving a coat of copper in the bore but they still recommend a very short lead into the rifling. My old 3006 would need a 250 grain bullet to get close to the rifling and a rifling twist rate about twice what I have to get their bullets to fly straight. If they outlaw lead bullets I am going to be in a world of hurt to find something that will shoot from my guns. Maybe someone will come up with a jacketed bismuth bullet that will mimic the lead that we use now.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I consulted the folks at Barnes regarding this bullet in .243. They told me that it likes a considerable jump to the lands. They reccomended an OAL of 2.645". I loaded up 25 over 45gn of Ramshot Hunter for about 3200 fps.
This recipe produced 3 shot groups that would easily be covered by a quarter from 2 different Remington model 7's I shot it in. Hope you have some success.
Andy

if it dosent burn gunpowder, diesel fuel or gasoline, it's of no interest to me!

Posts: 7 | Location: beatrice nebraska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Just off the top of my head,38.5 Varget and very close to the lands worked best in my Sako L579 if I remember correctly.

I think I started .030 0ff went back and it got worse and got better when I closed it up. If I remember correctly they're .005 or so off. Measured with a Stoney Point gage.

Posts: 962 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne

wouldn't get too worried about it. I have a 243 as well that doesn't shoot barnes 85 gainers. I got sick of spending money trying to get the rifle to shoot them. Took it hunting with barnes bullets anyway to use up the last of the projectiles. Shot maybe 5 or 6 deer with them but in my opinion they certainly didn't kill a deer any better that the 100 grain sierra prohunters I now use. The sierra are also superbly accurate. Another good slug on deer for the 243 is the sierra 85 grain hpbt. Shot alot of deer with this and it always does the job.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've shot a number of new guns and developed loads for a gunsmith and his customers. One of the things I've found out is some guns do like the TX and TXS bullets much closer to the lands than is recommended by the factory. A person who shall remain nameless, but is within the Barnes group, has such a rifle. thumb

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tommo wrote:

quote:
in my opinion they certainly didn't kill a deer any better than the 100 grain sierra prohunters I now use.

Is there any difference between the Sierra Prohunters 100gr and the Sierra Gamegetter BTSP 100 gr.?

Prof242 wrote:

quote:
One of the things I've found out is some guns do like the TX and TXS bullets much closer to the lands than is recommended by the factory.

What COL did you finally end up with? Miles58 above said he is only .005 off the lands which is almost touching. I guess I will also try some real close and see what happens.

>
>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 243 will shoot anyhting but a 6mm I have is picky. It shoots the best with the 85TSX though. They both prefer a healthy load of RL19 to make itty bitty groups.

RH

Posts: 79 | Location: Northwest Atlanta | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
My COL means absolutely nothing to you, and might well be dangerous. Since I bought a Stoney Point gage I never worry about COL in manuals or other people's loads. I strongly recommend a Stoney Point gage. You have to spend a few bucks to get the gage and then 4-5 bucks for the dummy cartridge or you could make the dummy. It makes a difference and it makes it easier.

Posts: 962 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes recommends starting .050 off the lands. My personal experience with a .338 Win. Mag. and a .270 Win have been much more than that. Both of my rifles prefer .070 jump. The .270 will also shoot just as good at .120. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's the only box of those bullets you have or have used, I'd mic. a bunch of them and see if they are undersized compared to your bore and other bullets you are having success with. Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne

The sierra 100 grain bullets differ in that (1) the prohunter has a flat base and (2) the gameking has a boat tail. In terms of performance on deer I would say there is not much in it. My 243 shot the flatbases better so thats what I use.
I have found by the time you play around with numerous different "wonder" bullets and different powders and so on you have spent a fortune and often seem to get nowhere fast - often getting pis#ed off and disillusioned in the process.
Here in New Zealand you can legally shoot deer with any centrefire calibre at ANY time of the year and as MANY deer as you would like (assuming you can find them!). Many friends use the 222, 223 and 243 on sika and red deer that can weigh well over 200lbs on the hoof. ANY decent bullet will kill them if they are shot in the right place. No bullet will stop them if they're shot in the wrong place.
Two friends who are professional hunters over here primarily use sako 222's for the majority of their hunting - goats and red/sika deer. They use 50 grain Federal Powershok or Norma and rate both bullets if ranges are kept sensible.
Try the 100 grain sierras (or Hornadys or whatever) and I guarantee if you shoot the animal in the right spot you'll be eating venison. Good luck. Tom

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Try some different powders too. 4831s and Re19, and H4350 work very well. Load hot and seat deeper.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great advice everyone. I will definitely do that.

quote:
I have found by the time you play around with numerous different "wonder" bullets and different powders and so on you have spent a fortune and often seem to get nowhere fast - often getting pis#ed off and disillusioned in the process.

You hit the mark with that statement. As I mentioned in passing in a previous post I probably have the cartridge I need already with the Sierra 100 gr. I will try some final combos with the Barnes 85gr. I have left using the suggestions given above but after that if unsuccessful go with the Sierra Prohunter. I have found a slight better performance in the shorter ranges (200 yds and under) with the flat base as opposed to the boat-tail.

Wayne

>
>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 6MM in a ruger 77 with 85 gr. TSX. It is loaded with 41 gr. of Varget at approx. 3300 fps. It is by far the best load for deer up to 300 yds here in Ks. for me. I also used it for pigs in Tx. and it produced the same results. One shot, one kill. sounds corny but that is the way it has worked for my brother and I.
bogey67401

Posts: 176 | Location: kansas | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote