Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My slide won't close !!
 Login/Join

posted
I am shooting a Kimber SS Custom Target .45 with a Kart match barrel. I am reloading on a Dillon 550B with Redding Titanium Carbide dies. I am loading Lead RN 230 Gr bullets. Many rounds seem to not be allowing my slide to close, all but 1/16 or 1/8 inch. Sometimes I can push it forward to close, but some will not even allow me to close it manually. So I am missing many competetive shoots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3 | Location: Pekin,IL | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had that happen with my Kimber and I called them to discuss it. The problem was the firing pin retainer (back of the slide) was projecting down just enough to keep it from going into battery. They said they'd fix it but that I could grind it down a bit if I wanted to and save the shipping downtime. I didn't want to be without it so did it. No more problem.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Does this type of stoppage occur only with lead bullets or does it occur with jacketed ammo as well? I ask this because I had a similar problem with a 1911 set up with a BarSto barrel. The problem turned out to be a chamber that was minimum dimension. Jacketed bullets, being .451" in diameter fed fine. Lead bullets, being .452" in diameter, would increase the diameter of the case just enough to prevent complete chambering. Reaming the chamber slightly larger solved the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with a Dillion SDB, but all I did was tighten down the crimp a bit. I believe that means you have to screw the last die in more, but try that first. Might just be something real simple like this.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the oal of your cartridge?
Luckily you can use your barrel as a guage!
Take your barrel out of your gun and hold it chamber end up.Drop a loaded round into the chamber, gravity should slide the cartridge in until the base of the case is even with the top of the barrel hood.
If your cartridge doesn't slide in far enough you need to check that you are crimping enough and then adjust seating depth.
Crimping enough means the minimum amount that will feed reliably, crimp at least enough to remove the bell from seating up to a maximum of burying half of the thickness of the brass into the bullet.
Correct seating depth means that depth where each cartridge slides in until the base of the case is even with the top of the hood give or take a few thou (most boxes of cast bullets have enough variance that a few thou is as close as you will get)
All of the above is premised on the statement that your chamber is clean, otherwise a lead build-up in the chamber can cause the same symptoms.
I got to the point where I would check every round before I took it to a match.
Guy

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45 ACP headspaces off the case mouth. When you drop it in the chamber as Guy suggests you should clearly hear it hit, not the plunk of lead but more of a plink [Roll Eyes] (thats if the flare is good and the lead isn't being scraped off).

Get yourself a LEE factory crimp die. It "resizes" as well as crimps and if you don't want a crimp then back the top off. Oh yeah, did you size your lead?

stans, have the same prob as you did but in 9mm. I have to adjust the LEE factory crimp die down hard against the shellplate. Chamber is way too tight.

EDIT 9mm is a tapered so adjusting the die down "resizes" more unlike a 45 thats straight.

[ 03-28-2003, 05:20: Message edited by: PEI ROB ]

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Turn your crimp in a smidge, load slightly shorter and I'll bet it goes away. At least it always has for me!

Cheers

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Adjust your crimp die in a little as others have said. Inadequate crimp on reloads is the only thing that has ever tied my Kimber up.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did not say if the reloading crimp die is a roll crimp or a taper crimp. Best thing is the taper crimp die adjusted properly. Also look to see if the bullet is shaving lead at the edge of the case, as it could be making the case length just a little longer than it should be. A slight camfer inside the case neck, and a good taper crimp die should work. One final note, be sure the expander plug is allowing easy entry of the bullet into the case so no lead IS being shaved during the seating and crimping process. I liked to use the seperate seating and taper crimp die if it continues to be a problem.

SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote