New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metering problem with H4350
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ran into a pretty unusual problem! I have an electronic Lyman powder scale, meters perfectly with several powders I use but throws a heavy charge only with H4350!!!! Have not measured the charge but am sure its a few grains more than what I wanted (78 grains)! Tried another powder and it worked just fine.

Anyone else run in to this issue *^&$%#

Thanks,

Arjun

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
The only wayu to tell is check the weight on an accurate scale and compare. Have you calabrater the electronic scale/
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do mean you haven't measured the charge?

Dosen't your electronic scale weigh each charge

How do you know its few grains more.

Caliberated eye balls?

Or are you trying to say your scale is off?

Don't you own at least one balance beam scale to compare with.

Dosen't it come with check weights so you can test the accuratcy of the scale.

4350 has a fairly large grain is it hanging up in the drop tube?

Unless you have another scale to test the charge weight against?

If you guessing this charge is off how do you know your other charges are not off. Maybe this one is on the others are off.

Are you useing close to a max charge and its filling up the case so much it looks heavey.

Some rifle powders at max are a compressed charge filling the case will into the neck.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's much more time consuming to weigh each charge on a balance beam scale after it has been dispensed with a setup like yours but they only say it is accurate to +/- 1/10th of a grain. I have found that to be close but not close enough. I use both a Lyman and an RCBS dispenser/scale combo and then weigh each load on an RCBS 10-10 for accuracy. If it's right, it goes in the case, if not I either add whatever powder it takes or remove some to make the charges accurate. That way I know it's right.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I have not described my scale properly it is the one with a balance beam so when the powder trickle stops instead of it being exact on the marker it goes up showing a heavier charge. Its not the newer jazzy electronic scale with the digital display showing the wt in grains.

thanks

Arjun

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If its the lyman autoscale the knob on top will adjust the speed and slow or speed up the amount of powder dispensed into the pan, slow it down so the beam does not over ride the set point.
If the edge of the blades are worn the beam could be sticking. from what youu have stated .. If it were mine I would send it to lyman for a tune up.
Also make sure the beam is clean and nothing attached to it.
Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

Tried the screw that doesnt help. Guess I better send it to Lyman! Thanks.

Arjun

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
give them a call make sure they still service the scale.
I have had an autoscale for about 15 years and never really had any problems.
Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Belding&Mull powder measure---they meter any type powder I have tried with them.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote