New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38-55
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone point me to a source of reloading info for cast bullets in the .38-55? Only thing I've found so far is some "plinking" loads in an old Lyman manual..

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Lyman Manual #48 has listings for two cast bullets and velocity approaches 2000fps with a 249 grain bullet.

Posts: 72 | Location: Denmark, Maine, USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The Lyman Manual is my source. For good lead bullets for your 38-55 check out Meisterbullets.com

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Pedestal,
What are you shooting them out of a 94? Bores vary a lot from 375 to 380.
I got some Winshester factory that mic .376 but the bore on my Win94 LF is .379 and I can only get it to shoot well with .380 cast.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Roger. Lyman!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace:
Pedestal,
What are you shooting them out of a 94? Bores vary a lot from 375 to 380.
I got some Winshester factory that mic .376 but the bore on my Win94 LF is .379 and I can only get it to shoot well with .380 cast.

Yes, it's an old 94. I haven't slugged the bore, I guess I need to do that...
I installed a Lyman Tang Sight, as I cannot see the "V" sights anymore. I had one box of "Imperial" (Canadian) jacketed ammo. It did not shoot them particularly well, about 6"... I'd really like to stay with cast, anyway.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, looks like I'll have to spring for a new Lyman manual...