New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win. Mag and RL-22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of you use RL-22 with 225 grainers in a 338 Win. Mag.?
I've tried 4350, RL-19 and IMR4831 with not much luck. It seems to like the RL-22 and gives good velocities around 2750fps.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .338 WM likes RL 22 for the 250 grainers. Gives very accurate groups and good velocities. However, it seems to prefer IMR 4350 for the 225 grainers.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, several years ago I had a Model 70 in 338 that loved Re-22 and 225 grain Partitions and Barnes Xs. Seems like charges were somewhere in the mid to upper 70's.

My current 338 lives on 210 TSXs and Re-22.

Gunwriter Ross Seyfreid claims Re-22 and 225 grain bullets is THE load for a 338 WinMag.

Again, FWIW

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Rae

I tried many the recommended powders for the 338WM with OK results. Then, just for grins, I tried R22 with 225's. BINGO.

Give it a try. YMMV.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 225 grain Barnes X bullets using both RL 22 and RL 19 for quite a few years and then I tried IMR 4350. The switch to 4350 made a drastic reduction in group size although velocity was a little lower.

I bought a second 338 WM as a spare rifle and 4350 proved to be the ticket for that rifle too.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rae:
Rldr-22 is all I use in my .338 Mag. 73 grs. behind a 225 gr. North Fork gives me 2800 fps. I suspect I could go higher with the powder charge but it's good enough for me. I get about consistant 1 1/4" groups, maybe a bit less - good enough for moose with my Ruger.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I use original surplus 4831 for my .338/225 load (and all other .338 loads for that matter), most lots of the somewhat variable RL-22 are close to but usually just a tad slower than surplus 4831. I would think RL-22 would make an exellent powder with this bullet weight, and the comments of those who have used it seem to validate this assumption.

IMR-4350 is a bit faster than I like in this cartridge, resulting in more empty case space than I like. Sure, it works, but I prefer other powders.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, the two 4350s H and AA don't churn up the speed anywhere they or the reloading books say with the loads they suggest. This is a Tikka T3 rifle. Only the Reloader lines seam to be on track with their stated FPS/powder charge. I have also tried IMR 4831 and it too was off pretty far as per the new Hornady book. Go figure. It appears that
RL-22 is the one, if I can find anymore.

Sorry but I just now noticed that I failed to mention at the beginning of this session, that I have tried RL-22 and it tightened the groups up considerably with the 225grs. P.S. The reason I am asking about RL-22 is that no one except Alliant powder even mentions RL-22 as a viable option for 225 grs. much less 250s.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Rae
I'm getting over 2800 fps with 70.5 grains of IMR-4350 and 225 grain Sierra's and have shot tiny 5 shot groups, what speeds are you hoping for?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snell....., I would like to get a minimum of 2700 fps. with the 225 grainers. For what ever reason, I am not getting more than low 2600s with either of the 4350s that I mentioned and that is within 1/2 grain of the stated book max. loadings. Again, in this particular rifle, only the Alliant book seems to be on track with their powder amounts/velocities given. I would love to get 2800 fps. or very close to it. Also the RL-22 seems to be the only one that has tightened the groups up to where they should be.