Find
Notify
Tools

Projectile Identity
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted
Whilst reminiscing at the weekend on the first rifle I purchased whilst at high school, a 32 Remington Model 14 pump action, I was searching through my box of odds and sods to see if I had one of the original Dominion cartridges left, low and behold there was one in perfect condition. When compared side by side the 32 Remington is actually very much along the lines of a miniature 404 Jeffery cartridge.

While digging through the odds box I also came across a projectile which I thought may have been a 32 cal bullet, same style and same 170gr weight but is actually a .308" calibre likely from a 30-30. Has an unusual ring of spikes in the jacket through to the lead core just below the cannelure.
I am thinking this may have been the first core-lokt style?

32 Remington and 404 Jeffery

30 cal core lokt?

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you pull it, find it in a box of bullets.

Strange things happen in production.

That's my guess a production accident.

Over the decades and many 10's of thousands of bullets. I have found a few that made it past quality control.

Would pay hell on bullet performance.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle The bullet you show was made by CIL in Canada. It is a KKSP bullet which stands for kling kore soft point. They were made in every calibre CIL made .CIL ammunition was originally sold under the Dominion headstamp and later Imperial headstamp

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add that I used the 180 gr KKSP bullet in a 30-06 for a number of years. Those bullets held together quite well on several moose. Certainly better than a plain cup and core bullet that only had a cannalure holding the core in the jacket.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Good information snowman. The 30 cal 170gr bullet was just a loose one a box of odd bullets I have, don't know the original source and did wonder what the KK part of the KKSP meant on the Dominion boxes. I have googled 32 Remington ammo and pulled up images of the same CIL Dominion ammo boxes and cartridges that I used to have and use when I had my Remington 14 pump action.

I only have the one cartridge left now and it seems will have the same style KKSP bullet as in my photo of the 30 cal. I shot a lot of red deer and feral goats with the pump action, it was a great killer at ranges no more than 150 yards. Wasn't interested in recovering bullets in those days, just making money from selling the animals, but the little cartridge never failed me.

I can see how the bullets would hold together well with the core firmly anchored in the jacket.
At the modest velocity of the 30 and 32 Remingtons and 30-30 and ranges these cartridges are usually used at, I don't think the KK method of core retention would affect the ballistics much at all.

An old photo of the result of an early morning clean up with my 32 Remington. Also in the photo is a single shot Win Cooey 22RF that my brother used and got a few deer with, not that morning though the 3 yearlings falling in quick succession to the 32 Rem.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 170 gr 30 cal bullet could have been pulled from a 30-30 round or it could be a leftover bullet from reloading. CIL offered these bullets as reloading components as well.