New
Find
Notify
Tools

444 short cartridge question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Michigan now allows for straight walled rifle cartridges of a max length of 1.8 inches case length. Hornady's 444 level ammo has a case length of 2.13 inches. I want to cut the cases down to 1.8 inches and reload. I figure I can leave the bullet out a little past the cannalure so the OAL length is only about 3/16 inches short. Any thoughts on how this will work in my Marlin 444s? Optik1

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I and others, have made prototypes of this cartridge. Here is a pic. For them to work in a Marlin, ammo has to be of the same length as factory or you will have to alter the cartridge stop, which is not hard; solder a piece onto it so the ammo stops just shy of the follower. If it is too short, it will jam up, allowing the next cartridge to come through the receiver opening.
Pic of .444 Michigan using 30-06 brass, for a bolt action, but you get the idea.

Posts: 17187 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just what the doctor ordered! Thanks.

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Take two aspirin, drink plenty of fluids, and call me in the morning if you aren't better. That will be $100.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's wrong with just buying some 445 super mag brass and shooting that?

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
445 is only 1.6 inches long and you are already going in the wrong direction with case capacity. Secondly, 445 brass is expensive and hard to get; 30-06 and 3008 are cheap, and Thirdly, it would be even harder to make a marlin feed it. No benefits at all to it, especially in a bolt action, unless you really want a factory cartridge. Then it would work fine, in a single shot, or a bolt gun, and a marlin could be made to feed it with some carrier mods. Some guys are looking for as much velocity as they can get, of course for deer, it is not needed but some of us, like me, won't listen to reasonable solutions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK just a random thought...

Why not just get a 44 Magnum rifle...

I have killed a BUNCH of deer and a few pigs with a 44 Mag Rifle. Out to 125 yards or so it kills as good as ANYTHING.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not just get a 44 Magnum rifle...

My thoughts also.

Posts: 19449 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I own a 444 Marlin and was in the mood to tinker a little thus my thoughts on making a wildcat.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True but why go small when you can go bigger and why shoot something common when you can have something unique? That is always my first thought with anything. Getting a 44 mag is no fun, no challenge, and shows no creativity.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
God only knows i'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, BUT!

Tell me one and all what is wrong with the 460 S&W magnum?

Buy cases and reload, no case prep at all.

They even do rifles in that caliber.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to admit it is real close to case specs for the 444 and it is the right length!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what is wrong with it; it uses .452 pistol bullets. Ok for small deer but not much else. Whereas the .444 can use real rifle bullets and so can a short 45-70, like the 45-60. The short, rimless .444 that I made is designed to use readily available, and often free, brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here is what is wrong with it; it uses .452 pistol bullets. Ok for small deer but not much else. Whereas the .444 can use real rifle bullets and so can a short 45-70, like the 45-60. The short, rimless .444 that I made is designed to use readily available, and often free, brass.

Implying that .452 pistol bullets will only kill small deer is laughable.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OK, medium deer; point is, do not try it on an elk or moose or try to penetrate from an angle. I like to use more capable bullets on game. Others, of course, are free to use anything they like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made my first 444 cut down to 1.8 inches. The hornadu ammo is loaded with such s deep seated bullet I just set it shallower and it cycles well and took a full load of powder. Can't wait to load a bunch and try them out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget, I think you really need to CRIMP the bullets for the lever action.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

So a 300grains .429" bullet is somehow way more deadly than a 300grains .452 bullet?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you got me on that one, but there are better bullets such as the Barnes, and you can get those in both .451 and .429. But if you use plain old thin cup and core pistol bullets, both will have the same limitations. But of course, you are right, for deer, they are fine. I have killed deer with several plain Hornady .45 pistol bullets, (from a muzzleloader), and yes, they work fine. Good food for thought and discussion, don't you think?
Optik; good job.. If your case is full, which I am sure it is, you won't need a crimp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will call it a 44 Michigan Mag!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So a 300grains .429" bullet is somehow way more deadly than a 300grains .452 bullet?

I can say one thing a 300 gr 429 sized down to 416 and shot out of my Taylor at 2650 blows right through deer.

Then a 250 gr 452 shot out of my muzzle loader at 2000 fps kills then very well also.

Deer are not that hard to kill.

Posts: 19449 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote