New
Find
Notify
Tools

264 winchester magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody got a load for a 264 winchester magnum using 120 grain barnes tsx? thanks

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
rpowell

I have loaded the 130 TSX and the 125 Nosler Partition in my 26" barrel pre-64.

Before I give you these loads let me say that the 264 is the fastest caliber I know to develop excessive pressure. It will blow primers in a heartbeat, so start lower and work up, definitely.

130 TSX, 60 gr RL22 for 3300 fps

125 NPT, 59.5 gr IMR4831 for 3325 fps

The NPT was a 4 shot group of 5/8" and the TSX was 7/8". I am please that a traditional gun like that will shoot the traditional type bullet like the NPT.

What type of gun is your 264?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm having a custom built using a pre-64 winchester action and a 26 inch shilen barrel. have you tried any of the vitavhourri powders?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 25 works quite well in this cartridge...

Posts: 105 | Location: CO | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And:
knowing I'm gonna make a number of you mad as hell.

A .264 ain't worth a shit for elk!!
Been there and watched that several years. Spent many miles on the blood trail and never did find one.
Shots made by an expert game shooter with years of game kills til this happened.

Wasn't any barne's and such in those days, but, the gun was hyped up in the rags.

The next season he had gone back to his '06 and first shot got the bull down in short order. He swears it was the gun and bad bullets and not him. But, after seeing him wound three bulls in four days and never found a single one. Pretty good proof for me.

But, it sure was hell for great on antelope! Would blow them nearly in half with a side rib shot.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rpowell I no longer have a 264 win ,at least in part for the reasons that george brings up.I still load this calibre for a friend and I have a 6.5x 68 rifle as well.It has slightly more capacity than the 264 and all of the same problems. Pressures jump quickly and for that reason I have always found that single base powders are a little more predictable. I have found that IMR 7828 is very good. Most of the 6.5 cal bullets on the market were designed for calibres like the 6.5x55 Swedish. When launched at the velocities capable in the 264 or 6.5x68 those light jacketed bullets literally explode like a varmit bullet. Barnes X, Swift A-frame or a Nosler Partition are good choices.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snowman and georgeld don't know stuff from shinola about the 264 - if they did they would be singing it's praises. #1 in BC & SD in small bore and a real killer when using todays premium bullets. Has all the same problems that the ultra boomenschutzers and STWs have. Also has all the advantages with a higher BC & SD.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote