Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Rem Heavy loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted
Anyone have any data for the Hornady 75 grs or Nolser 77 grs? I have a 1-9 twist so I want to see how it will shoot.

People kill people, Not guns.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh 25 grains of RL 15, IMR 4895, IMR 4064, AA 2520... are real good places to start... One can work up a little higher depending on the brass you are using, but I don't think the difference in velocity is going to give you much more.. I don't think it is worth the effort....

75 grain Hornady HPs or AMaxes do very well with all the above in my Ruger 77 Mk 2, with a Pac Nor barrel...

The 77 grain Noslers and Sierras haven't done as well for me.. I hear some guys having good luck with the VV powders with that bullet...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
My Colt Delta with a 24" 1 in 9 loves 23.5 grains of IMR 4895 and the 77 gr Sierra seated to function from the AR's magizine. This is a 1 hole load. If using a longer seating depth for either single loading or to reach the lands, Seafire is on the money, but I would start just a bit lower and work up.

PS of sorts, the 75 A-MAX worked to kill a P-dog at 1106 yards, not too shabby for a .223! That was with 24.5 IMR 4064 seated long...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A casefull of VV N140 or 26gr. Vectan SP7 gets me 3000fps with the Hornady 75 A-Max out of my Savage M12.

never to forgive. never to forget. never to give up.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Max
posted Hide Post
Beware!
A standard 20" 1-in-9 barrel generally will not properly stabilize a bullet as heavy as 77 grains.

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 223 will also not kill a deer supposedly either....But don't tell that to your rifle and it will do just fine....

Some rifles with a one in 9 will stabilize a 77 grain bullet and others won't...

But I am going to rebarrel a 223 with a one in 5 twist to stabilize those new 90 grain Sierra Match bullets... It will be in bolt action Savage....

Not only will that stabilize the long bullets, it should be a lot of fun vaporizing fragile bullets at fast velocity, or shooting a 40 grain ballistic tip or V Max out about 3800 fps and wonder what kinda RPMs those things are turning at...will definitely drill a hole in a prairie dog then....

Either on a 223 case or looking at a 22.250 case... Should be a lot of fun either way...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote