Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X are not for me!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coni,
I wish you had the data from Dr Ed Ashby's hunts in Zimbabwe and other parts of Africa. He says that theyt are by far the best big game bullet around. Note on page 65 of lyour No 3 RM he shows a Zebra taken with a .22 Hornet and a X bullet.

I doubt whether anyone has as much experience as he has had except a PWP.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I also like full penitration. I just like a hole that is bigger on the exit than on the entrance. My point was some of them expand and some of them don't. If I want a solid than I will buy one.

quote:
Originally posted by Rancher:
is what I think. Maybe you know how to post it.

1. I want complete penetration every time I can get it.
2. I have recovered very few barnes-x bullets

I don't need a pseudonym. My name is Jacob Gottfredson, and I write for Precision Shooting, The Accurate Rifle, GUNS, and Safari magazines.
Jacob

Jacob, it sounds like you are a splendid shot with plenty of opportunity to practice. Maybe the reason you recovered so few bullets was because they acted like the one on the left, not the one on the right? A solid will penitrate better and kill just as quickly if placed in the proper place.

quote:
Originally posted by phurley:
The post originator who complained about killing a Zebra and wounding another on the other side. If and when I go to Africa, that is exactly the kind of bullet I want.

phurley;

I think you need to read the post for content. I never complained about wounding another Zebra. That's what I was doing. Killing Zebra, all of them.

What I complained about was a bullet that I was told by the manufacturer would work in my rifle not working. A bullet that penitrated a Zebra and ended up against solid bone in a second Zebra that looked like a bent solid. How many of the 'unrecovered' X bullets acted in exactly the same way. Like I stated above, a solid will do as well as the bullet on the left if placed in the same spot. Marksmanship not bullet construction tells the tale.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Coni,

I was hoping to see you guys at the SCI gathering, but it does not look like I'll make it.. You know if you send some of those triple shocks to a special advisor you have, I might be able to shoot them , and report back [Big Grin] Tell Randy, and Jessica Hi for me..

Lee Christmas

[ 01-11-2003, 10:16: Message edited by: LeeC ]

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
<MRMD>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Coni Brooks:
Hi,
To the gentleman making the comment of the X-Bullet is a gimmick - trust me we have no time for gimmicks nor the finances it takes to do gimmicks. When a product is designed and brought out to the public - you can bet it is a working viable product and one that we are very proud to offer.

Does that go for your reloading manual also? I have studied ballastics since I began reading, and I have training/experience in copy editing, and truthfully, I was shocked when I bought the Barnes manual and saw all the mistakes (some of which are very dangerous mistakes). It really made me wonder about the rest of your products.

As for bullet performance, the one Barnes bullet I've used on an animal worked well and created a large wound channel. It was a PMC factory load in 300 Winchester Magnum on a medium-sized hog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So.... will the triple shock's REPLACE the standard X bullets??

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Frank, that's the question that's been on my mind as well.

High, dry and snowless,

Brad