New
Find
Notify
Tools

necksizing exspander
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it normal for the expander to pull out off the case fairly hard? I'm using mica lube.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in certain calibers this seems to be common. I don't know if it is the certain caliber or my certain chamber but it is not uncommon. Or is it the dies for a certain caliber? I am getting a headache thinking about it, but it happens.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
MICA IS not that good of a lube in my opinion.
You might try polishing the expander with some fine emery or steel wool. I also champer inside neck befor resizing , they can have a bur.
i use a small ammount of rcbs case lube on a q tip, then wipe it off after sizing.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will retumbling clean the case lube out? Although I hate doing that with the primer out.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I just use a cloth and wipe the inside. you could tumble that up to you.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's common but avoidable.

I chuck my brass up in a Lee Lock Stud with the appropriate case holder and clean the outside with a Scotch Brite pad and while I have it in the chuck I run a bore brush in the neck. It makes a huge difference in the amount of reduced friction for the expander ball. If they are still sticking I will apply a very small amount of Imperial Die Sizing Wax at the same time I'm lubing the outside of the case for resizing (even if only neck sizing). Polishing the expander ball helps too, sometimes they just get dirty so cleaning helps a great deal. When they need it I polish mine with very fine steel wool.

Posts: 29 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked into a few necks once, and the brass was as rough as sandpaper. No wonder the sizeing buttons drag. I use graphite which helps and doesn't need cleaning out.

All this tumbling? I had a friend who had this case cleaner on a shelf and there it sat. I wondered why but didn't ask.

Now I have one, used it once. Any cases that were stained/corroded, came out nice and shiney
but still stained and corroded.

Now mine sits on the shelf, and I suppose people wonder about it.

By the time I lube PFLS and wipe off, the brass is good enough, and no chance of mistaking for factory. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote