New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Sabots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who shoots sabots out of what calibers and what sort of results are you getting? I've always blown off the idea of shooting sabots on the notion all I'd get was high speed and poor accuracy. Was I wrong?

I'm real interested in just how accurate these things are.

Thanks.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I don't think there is a definitive answer to the accuracy question. I don't know anyone who has tried the sabot idea in handloads, but thoise who have used the Remington .30/'06 or .30/30 factory loads with sabotted .224" bullets have had very mixed results-some got great accuracy, and some got none at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in sabot's as well. A memeber here "Sabot" has talked about them but not as of late.

I am shooting sabots in a Savage ML and they are capable of about 1.5 to 2 MOA with the crude gun I have. These are the Hornady 250 gr. SST's.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage, check out my thread here on loading for the 7.62X39. Sabot was the one who turned me on to this idea. Several other members commented on the subject on the other thread. I just thought I'd move the topic here to cast a broader net.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Something to try this winter.

Right now I am getting loaded up with bigger bullets.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I needed to duplicate the .223 in my .300 WSM and got it to work fine. I did try a hot load and I think I must have blown the sabot out from around the bullet as I was looking for somthing in the 4200 fps range and got 1200 fps, with red plastic bits in the face of the chrony (oops). It still didn't kick bad and there we're no high pressure signs. My thinking is that the sabot will fail well before you get to 65,000 psi. I've got a bunch loaded up now just to play with.

Just so you know, I'm doing balistic testing of armor and I don't shoot too much farther than 50' I don't know what accuracy you would expect.

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collins - That definately sounds like sabot failure. I think you need to work UP rather than work DOWN towards your ideal load.

Acceptable accuracy to be would be mmmmmmmmm 3 moa. That's good enough to hit most critters at the range I would use it.

Actually I can't see myself using it extensively unless I got spectacular results. This is more just for my education and curiosity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried them in my .308. Mixed results. Accuracy was ok, but my iron sights wouldn't adjust down far enough to make them practical. I was still 9" high at 100 yds. Now, if I'd run them through a scoped rifle, I might be inclined to see more applications. You won't get a tackdriving varmint rig, but then again, you only want 3 moa. I know that can be done. My notes don't have a velocity, but I was using the 52 gr Speer HPBT and 44 to 46 gr H380. With this powder, you could basically fill up the case, leaving just enough room to seat the sabot. There isn't a lot of neck tension on that slippery plastic, so compressed loads really didn't work for me. Seating the bullet/sabot assembly smoothly is the key. I still have most of a bag of sabots around someplace.

It is an interesting (and cheap) experiment. I'd say give it a try. If you want a few sabots to try out, let me know. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote