New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22-250 IMR 4895 60Gr Nosler Partition Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back from the range after trying to find a good load for the 60g Hornady. Forty grains of H4350,
Winchester primer,and Remington brass--my last three shot group went .293. I'm gonna quit while ahead.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what rifle and twist?

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700ADL with a 1-14 twist--factory 24" barrel.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no problem stabilizing the 60 gr. with a 14 twist?

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could only get the 60g partitions to shoot about 4" groups, so the rifle couldn't handle those for whatever reason. The 60g Hornady had no problems whatsoever with two different loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also liked the Nosler solid base and used it and the 60 gr. Hornaday for deer and antelope and some culling in RSA, some years ago...BTW I liked the Hornady better in either HP or SN.....

I tried the Nosler partitions but found the expand way too little...The Nosler design is intended for penetration and they expand less than other soft nose bullets, they are in effect half solid and half expanding bullet...This works great in calibers over .270 IMO, but just does not work in the 22, 257 and 6mm calibers to my satisfaction as the hole is too small to bleed profusely...

22 and 6mm calibers kill by shock and disrupting tissue, and they kill well when used at under 100 yards and shots are carefully placed off the shoulder bone, but don't expect much in the way of a blood trail... I will use them in open country where I can see but never in the thick stuff where they can escape and die a 100 yards away and cannot be tracked....

Remember any gun is a good gun if used properly, and the 22s are no exception, one must adjust his hunting methods to fit the caliber...short range shots and exact placement of bullet, and use a proven bullet. This may mean letting a lifetime trophy walk on by.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's advice. I settled on 35.5Grs of IMR4895 and it grouped well with the 60gn Partion. Last weekend was opening weekend for Deer and I decided to lug that heavy Savage in the Treestand with me. Boy was I glad I did.

About 6:30 AM I was watching a rabbit eating clover in my foodplot. When a huge Female Yote came from nowhere towards the rabbit. This yote was on a mission and moving fast.. The rabbit hauled ass and the yote kept running to my left. I yelled at the yote to slow it down before I wouldn't have a shot. It slowed to a jog, the Crosshairs of the Nikon 4.5x14 gracefully met the shoulder of the yote and the 2.5lb trigger crisply struck the primer sending the 60gn Nosler towards its target. I saw the yote side step and then haul tail towards the pond to the South. I thought it was a complete miss at the way she took off. I stayed in the stand another 2 hours and watched 2 Does feed and then curiosity got the best of me. I got down and found where the yote was originally hit. Alot of Pink Bubbly blood, I knew from there it was a solid hit. I tracked the yote for 75yds!!! I have never in my life seen this heavy of a blood trail. Not even on a Whitetail, let alone a Coyote. But after recovering the yote it was indeed a solid hit, about an inch back of the shoulders taking out the vitals. How this dog managed to make it 75 yds is beyond me. She must have had as much adrenalin as I did pulling the crisp Savage Trigger.

Thanks for all of your advice.. This forum is full of great members and respective posters.

BTW... I got Tom Knapp's autograph and the guy from American Shooters yesterday at Gander Mountain!!! My wife couldn't understand what the big deal was..lol

Posts: 24 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote