New
Find
Notify
Tools

best 160 partition/7mm mag load please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a buddy that wants a load for elk hunting and we won't have time to develope. (don't ya love buddies and their late requests?)

Anything you've used with great success--24" ruger by the way!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 7mm Rem that just loves Win cases,Fed 215 primers and 70 grs of IMR 7828 with 160 gr bullet. (either the partion or the Speer spitzer BT. That is a max load in my rifle so I suggest you start about 67 grs and work up carefully.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Here's one I've found to work in two different 7RMags, 71 (one grain over max in current Hodgdon manual, but, 1 grain under max in the manual I got it from 3 years ago) H1000; F215M; R-P Case; 162 Hdy. BTSP; 3.30" o'all. 2,960 FPS in a Rem 700 w/24" barrel; 2,980 FPS in HOWA 1500 w/24" barrel, and many 1" +/- 5 shot groups. Don't know why it wouldn't work with Partitions.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Got a buddy that wants a load for elk hunting and we won't have time to develope.

Hey Kraky, Let me suggest you send him out to buy 3-4 boxes of Federal Premium factory ammo with either the Partitions or Trophy Bonded Super Premium bullets, Remington Sciroccos, Winchester Fail Safes, etc.

The reason I say this is that "IF" he misses the Elk or wounds and looses the Elk, chances are he will blame your "Panic Loads". Good hunting buddies are hard to find, so don't set up a situation that has the potential to go bad on you.

His "limited time" would be best spent learning the factory ammo trajectory, not tuning a Load.

Best of luck to him on his hunt.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a box of Federals with the 160 Nosler partition. Accurate and powerful, they should do the trick. I tried some and although they aren't quite as accurate as my handloads, they're really very good ammo that I don't hesitate to carry afield. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote