THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Lee withdrawal, No collet or fac crimp for 270 wsm

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee withdrawal, No collet or fac crimp for 270 wsm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
decisions decisions, Hornady Neck sizing and of course redding. The cost of this ammo means I have to get set up quickly to shoot my new rifle.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Is this a question or a statement? What is it that you need help with?

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there an alternative to using a Lee Factory crimp, since this is not available. I like the crimp operation separate from the bullet seating operation, and I like a crimp to better hold the bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In general you should not need to crimp bullets in a .270 Win - most sizers will give you sufficient neck tension that a crimp should not be needed.

The only exception I know of might be the Lee Collet Dies, which sometimes have trouble sizing workhardened brass sufficiently to provide sensible neck tension. Usually, this problem can be solved by polishing down the expanding mandrel of the Lee Collet die .001" - see die instructions. You can also order an undersize mandrel from Lee for about $5.

All in all, no NEED to crimp .270 loads. Whether you would still like to do so is another matter. I don't quite understand your allusion to inavailability of Lee Factory Crimp dies in .270 Win (if that is what you refer to with ".270"?) The Lee Crimp Die Page shows a Factory Crimp die for .270 win.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry, my subject line was truncated

270 wsm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been getting excellent results in 270 WSM without crimping. You may find that you can live without the factory crimp die too......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just ordered a set of Lee FL dies, brass, and 135 gr sierra match bullets. Hopefully this weekend I can get thru the fire-clean agenda and get the scope near zeroed. Then I will start loading for it. Just got a Win 70 Coyote to punch paper with predominantly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will make a crimping die for any shell for a $50.00 charge. Just send them 5 empty shells fired in your rifle, sized in whatever die you're using and ready for powder, primer and bullet. They will also make a collet type sizer and trimmer pilot for their case spinner type trimmer.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote