New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimped Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen some good deals on "once-fired" military 7.62x51 brass but they all say that the brass has crimped primers.

What are "crimped" primers?

What purpose does crimping the primers serve - other than pissing away more taxpayer dollars?

How does one go about removing a crimped primer?

Things I have read about crimped primers mention swaging the brass. What does swaging mean in this context?

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Have you read the front pages of your reloading manual(s)? I believe a primer pocket uniformer will get you ready.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After decapping we used to take a sharp pen
knive and hold it against the crimp while rolling the case across a table. Works faster than you can tell about it.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have used a primer pocket uniformer to remove the crimp but, what I think works best, is the RCBS primer pocket swager.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The military ammo has crimped primers to keep them from getting into the action & to help water prooof the round is my guess. Remove with a reamer or swager. Swaging mean the primer pocket is reformed under pressure using the tool. There are 2 types of crimps.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the few i have ran into will priming cases i have just hit them with a case mouth chamfer tool. 1 or 2 spins and your ready to prime.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote