New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady suspending production?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have heard that Hornady is suspending production of over 150 different bullets and loaded ammo cartridges for the rest of 2013 to catch up on the "more in demand" products. I have yet to be able to find the list. Any one have the scoop? The list? There is nothing on their website, nor their facebook page. Not surprising to me as Hornady has a reputation for not being overly responsive to customer inquiries.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard anything about it but it does make sense if they're operating at max capacity to direct their efforts at what's selling.
I know several of the various companies make "seasonal" runs of certain cartridges or components. .300savage comes to mind. They make however much they think they can sell and that's it for the year.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another reason everybody should reload. I can get all the bullets & brass I have the money for, won't need primers unless I live to 200, and the only real problem is getting a few certain powders everybody else is looking for also.

Here in Alaska, the shortage is still alive and well; can't buy the most desirable ammo anywheres so it's probably a good thing for Hornaday to dedicate their production to the areas they are short.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Hornady about this very topic less than a month ago, and was told they have added machinery and staff to keep up with demand, otherwise business as usual. Now, everyone who understands the manufacturing business knows that products are make in lots, rotating production to keep up with demand rather than continuous production of everything. For example, I assume that manufacture of 50-grain .224" bullets is done many times a year, while the manufacture of 200-grain .348" bullets may be done once a year, or less depending on demand. So the premise of the thread is true in principle - business as usual.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No product is made 365 days a year; they schedule their machine time to run a specific product at various times during the year and for low demand stuff, that might be only once a year. So, it sounds like business as usual; that is what you do in a business; you allocate your resources to those products that are in the most demand and will bring in the most revenue. You don't make stuff that sells slowly when you could be making something that will turn over fast. Velocity of money and inventory; normal practice. Of course they won't mention this; it will just cause more panic. I do not agree with the comment as to Hornady not being responsive to customers; I have had excellent results with them over the years and they are making some fairly obscure brass and bullets that can't be making much money.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
won't need primers unless I live to 200

So you're the sorry bastard that hoarded all the primers! Wink

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and was told they have added machinery and staff to keep up with demand...

And this is a good thing for everyone concerned.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The problem with all this is that once all the fear and panic buying subsides, and it will some day, demand will fall like a rock and the producers will be in a position with excess capacity and workers, and that is not good either. People are hoarding everything related to guns now.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Here's the list

http://www.weeniewawa.com/defa..._list_of_bullets.pdf

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bunch of projectiles for the boomers (.375 and up). Lots of smaller stuff. Graf's is already showing things as unavailable from the manufacturer.

Odd combination of things ... lots of ammo in the 9mm, .45 ACP, .223, and .308 categories.

Very significant I suspect. Something is up.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't bought any ammo in years, doesn't affect me I guess; and I got plenty of FTXs & XTPs It's all them Hoarders fault, crucification is too good for them.

Just wait until they put a 50% tax on ammo; course that will be the Hoarders fault too.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I sent them an email with the link to the PDF above. We'll see if they reply?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady's press releases are just a cover. We know that they and all of the other manufacturers are being paid tens of millions by Homeland Security just to keep quiet about shutting down their production lines in order to starve shooters out of all the ammunition. Mark my words, today it's ammunition, tomorrow it will be toilet paper. The Collective is out to control our lives. (BEAM ME UP, MR. SCOTCH!)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I sent them an email with the link to the PDF above. We'll see if they reply?

You and thousands if not millions of other handloaders and shooters. My guess is their switchboard is overloaded and will be shut down and they will not be able to reply to the millions of emails.

Thanks for trying though!

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called Hornady, it is their list and it is indeed true.

Call em yourself.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
From Hornady

Product Availability Update

Hornady Makes Plans to Increase Production Volume

For over half a year, Hornady Manufacturing, along with the rest of the shooting sports industry, has experienced an unbelievable spike in demand. This dramatic increase in demand is unprecedented. As stated earlier this year in our Product Availability FAQ we have been continuously growing for a number of years; adding people, equipment and manufacturing space as rapidly as we can. We are producing and shipping product at record levels and are continually looking to grow and improve our ability to fulfill orders. But the current state of the industry is such that our increase in shipments this year is overshadowed by a 200% increase in demand.

One area that we have identified that will enable us to increase production, is the minimization of machinery downtime. The largest period of downtime our machines experience is during change over and retooling to convert a machine from manufacturing one bullet or cartridge to another. Under normal market conditions, we can keep the supply chain full by making popular items on a regular basis and keeping specialty or less-used products on a seasonal basis. However, with demand at record levels, it has become difficult to justify shutting down a machine to change it over to produce a product of less demand. Therefore, we are temporarily suspending some items in order to focus our efforts on the most popular and highest demand products and ship more total product.

We realize that many of the suspended items are going to disappoint some of our customers. We have painstakingly reviewed our order status and order history and unfortunately had to make some tough decisions. It wasn't easy, but we know that we will do a better job of servicing the industry as a whole by focusing on the items of highest demand.

We are not alone; this is effectively already happening throughout our industry, but is accomplished through selective manufacture with no notification to the industry. We are simply making every effort to be up-front about our plans to maximize production.

Again, this is only temporary. This is not a permanent suspension. We will continue to push as hard as we can to meet the demand of our industry and will produce our full catalog of items as soon as we can. Please know that nobody wants to produce more and get our product to into your hands more than we do.

And lastly, we feel compelled to address some of the conspiracy theories that we have seen posted. NO, this is not a conspiracy effort to shape the industry, nor is it controlled by the government. We are simply being forthright about our manufacturing plans and our efforts to supply MORE product to the very hungry shooting sports industry.

We truly appreciate your patience during this period of time. Thank you for your understanding.

The Team at Hornady

The production list can be found here: http://www.hornady.com/support...lity/production-list

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
If your flavor isn't on the list, this is a great way to get people to buy more.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should of just told is what they will be producing. The list would be much shorter.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
That is their production list...they are only dropping 150 items.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to Hornady's site. This show the items that they are going to concentrate on manufacturing. I think I will have no problem finding stuff I like to shoot! This was in response to an email I sent to Hornady!

Production List

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So they are dropping their regular Interlock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is being dropped. The suspension is just until the end of the year according to Hornady. The suspended bullets and ammo are slow sellers.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I must take issue with that. Perhaps the A-max or V-max are not being "dropped" but I know that the 6.5 160 R.N. Interlock has been. I have bought up all I could find as that is the regulated bullet for my 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
The suspended bullets and ammo are slow sellers.

I aint buyin it. I see this as a bean counter decision. I KNOW there are a lot of folks that like the plain vanilla interlocks. I think they see an opportunity to rake in some serious cash on their higher dollar slugs. Looks like Sierra and Speer just moved up a notch on MY list.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote