Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Carbide Die?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I put a small drop of lube on the fingers I handle cases with, so that a tiny amount is transferred as I feed the press. It smooths up the press stroke a lot without the hassle and mess of fully lubing cases. One variation that also works, is to lube every 5th to 10th, with similar results. In this case, though, you might want to clean the brass afterwards. The finger method doesn't leave enough lube residue to matter.

It is not necessary, as carbide dies are made to not require lube, but it helps slick up the whole process. Give it a try and see of it helps...it certainly won't hurt the dies or cases.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
That's an idea that never crossed my mind, lubing cases for sizing in a carbide die, unless I'm using bottle necked rifle carbide die in a progressive press. If I had tolube the cases for use in a carbide die why would I spend the extra money for the carbide die?
I made the switch to all Redding carbide dies a number of years ago, so this a non issue as far as my reloading experience goes.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No needed for straight walled pistol cases, just make sure they are clean. Any bottle necked, or taper walled case should be lubed.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote