New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginners kit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, as much as I have resisted, I think I need to look into reloading. I have three rifles that could break me if I shot a lot, which I plan to do. 300 Wthby mag, a 6.5-06 and a 7X57R. I have dies for the 300 and 6.5.

Is there a decent quality starter kit that has all the major components?

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Here is one that is pretty much complete RCBS Supreme Master Kit

For more dollars there is RCBS Advanced kit

Generally speaking you are still going to need a tumbler/vibrator, shell holders and a few other odds and ends. I started with the Advanced kit and a Forster Co-Ax press having added the other odds and ends as I realized I needed them.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You dont need a tumbler. A tumbler is about the least thing id ever buy.

Hand primeing tool is top of the list to add when just starting

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bailey, Go with the RCBS Supreme Master Kit. If you shop around sometimes you can find it cheaper that Cabela's has it on this link.

I've had a couple beginner's start with this kit and they were all quite successful. You can buy cheaper stuff or more expensive stuff but the RCBS kit is all good solid gear that will last next to forever. You'll add more later but I'm firmly convinced this is the best place to start. There are other starter kits but this one's the best overall IMO. RCBS stuff has a great warranty and will last you a lifetime.
- I started with the equivelant RCBS starter kit 32 years ago and still use some of the stuff, all of it still works like it did back in the 70's..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
Is there a decent quality starter kit that has all the major components?

The RCBS kit is typically the best value. For the calibers you will be loading, the Advanced kit makes more sense (I believe it contains the ChargeMaster Combo in lieu of the beam scale and powder measure) unless you prefer to load spherical powders. A weight set will permit calibrating the electronic scale (if not included). All of the equipment is decent quality.

However, if you do your homework, you may develop a preference for other brands of individual equipment. (I like the Redding presses.) The assortment of small pieces the RCBS kit provides may not be choices of preference.

The more you learn before you buy, the further along you will be when you start reloading.

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
You don't need the Chargemaster to start out. I'm sure it's nice and will save time, but not even close to necessary for getting accurate powder weights dispensed. Get a good beam scale and the Uniflow dispenser (or similar) and learn to use them.

I also started with RCBS equipment. Instead of the hand primer I got the bench-mounted RCBS priming unit. It was worth the money to me.

If I had to do it over again, I would pass on the RCBS trimmer and go with a Redding or Forster. Again worth the money.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You dont need a tumbler. A tumbler is about the least thing id ever buy.

No, but they are really nice for cleaning lots of brass at the same time. In lieu of a tumbler, you can use Berchwood-Casey case cleaner. It's a concentrate that you mix with water and then soak your cases in it for several minutes. I just leave 'em in there for hours, shaking then up every so often, and they get really bright. After that, you save the stuff and just add a few more cc's of it the next time you want to use it. After using it, I rinse the cases under warm water for a few minutes, shake out the water, then fry them on low heat in a thin-bottom skillet for about ten minutes to evaporate all the water. You'll hear the water fizzing as it boils away, then the sound will go away. Your cases are dry. They are hot (about 300 degrees), so wait about ten minutes before touching them...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
RCBS stuff is great, will last you your whole life. The only other thing you will need is a set of dial calipers to measure over all length (OAL, COL). Powder, primers & bullets, you are good to go. Yes a tumbler is a nice add for $50, but you can get one later. You can wipe the cases off & hit them w/ a little steel wool. You will eventually need a case trimmer though, brass stretches w/ each firing. Get one before the tumbler.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a usable digital caliper at Harbor Freight Tools (they have a website) for less than 25 bucks. They have 4-, 6-, and 12-inch ones at varying prices...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I bought the RCBS Master kit last year & the best improvement I've made since is buying the Chargemaster dispenser/scale combo.
It's all good stuff.
I converted the press to take Hornady L-N-L inserts for convenience - another good thing IMO.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
RCBS stuff is great, will last you your whole life. The only other thing you will need is a set of dial calipers to measure over all length (OAL, COL). Powder, primers & bullets, you are good to go. Yes a tumbler is a nice add for $50, but you can get one later. You can wipe the cases off & hit them w/ a little steel wool. You will eventually need a case trimmer though, brass stretches w/ each firing. Get one before the tumbler.

This is great advice. I would look around, I believe that RCBS offers a kit that comes with a case trimmer and no hand priming tool. Lee offers a nice hand held case trimmer that is cheap and easy to use. Lee also offers a great hand priming tool. It is much better than the RCBS hand priming tool, which is a POS IMO.

I purchased an RCBS kit about ten years ago and I really like it. But if I had to do it over I might have bought the Lee kit to start then upgraded once I got a better idea what I wanted. The Lee kit is great for beginniners because it is so cheap. If you enjoy reloading you will decide to upgrade to an RCBS or other later and you can keep the Lee as a spare or give it away, you'll only be out $60.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the RCBS equipment..
Good stuff.

Don

posted Hide Post
well, im gonna have to vote for Lee, i have the challenger breech lock kit, and its been great, sells for a bout 100 and comes with their hand priming tool, which is great. the use of their bushings is great, and makes changing dies out rly fast and simple. just my thoughts!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RCBS stuff is great, will last you your whole life.

I must agree. In fact, I know RCBS stuff is every bit as good as anything comparable from Lyman, Hornady, Redding, Forster and Lee.

ALL of it will last your whole life, without question.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, I know RCBS stuff is every bit as good as anything comparable from Lyman, Hornady, Redding, Forster and Lee.

Actually, the consensus is that Redding and Forster equipment is superior to the other brands mentioned, certainly the presses, dies, case trimmers, and Redding's powder measures. The Lee equipment is made as cheaply as is possible; figure the implications of that. It is not a best buy unless cost is the primary determinant.

Bailey, you are getting opinions based solely on the values of the respondents. Their recommendations do not consider your needs, the specifics of which have not been brought to the forefront. You can take a tally of the number of recommendations for each brand, or you can make your own determinations. Do some searches on forums like these for specific pieces of equipment. Go to stores and gunshows, and inspect the equipment. Determine how much precision your type of shooting and your guns require. Read. You will be way ahead of the game when you buy.