New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy And Small Base Dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a set of RCBS Small Base Reloading Dies in .308 to compliment my RCBS Competition Die set in that same caliber. My reason for this is I have recently acquired 2 new Springfield Armory M-1A rifles. A National Match, and a SOCOM 16. I also reload .308 for 2 Savage bolt actions, a Model 10-FP, and a Model 12-F/TR. My question is will I sacrifice anything in the accuracy department by running all of my brass through the small base sizer die? I could segregate it but that is a lot more work. Much of the brass I'll be reloading is new, so I don't think it will matter that much. Has anyone run any accuracy tests in this area? I'm a firm believer in full length resizing, and I don't feel it effects accuracy that much. However, with that said I have never run any direct accuracy tests in an attempt to establish a running difference either way between the two. Thoughts or comments?? Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
SB dies should not harm your accuracy, but are not necessary either IMHO.

Unless your brass has been fired in a full auto weapon (usually pretty sloppy chambers), full length sizing should suffice.

I've loaded thousands of rounds of .308, 30-06 and 223 for match grade M1's, M1a's and AR's (all pretty snug chambered) and never owned a SB die.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need the SB dies if rounds will not chamber after loading fired brass. Common with autos and pump guns.
You will be hard pressed to find any accuracy difference.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
will I sacrifice anything in the accuracy department by running all of my brass through the small base sizer die?

If you can detect any difference at all, it will likley be trivial.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should mention I shoot several rifles in the AR platform, two are LWRC weapons. I religiously use small base dies for all of my .223 / 5.56 MM reloading. I don't believe I sacrifice any accuracy by using small base dies in the .223 /5.56 MM caliber. I also shoot a CZ Model 527 LUX in .223, and it is quite accurate with the ammo reloaded with the small base dies. I just am not sure if that translates into anything different with the .308. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My personal take is that full length resizing with a small base die does not effect accuracy that much, if at all. I base this on the fact the cartridge case is blown out and seals against the chamber walls before the bullet begins it's trip down the barrel. Bill T.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never used any SB dies and then, I've never heard of a person buying them for accura Smilercy purposes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one particular AR-15 that requires a small base die so I just go ahead and use it for all of my loads.
They have shot sub-MOA in 8 or 9 different 223's, a couple of them out to 600yds. I sure haven't found any accuracy disadvantage to SB dies.............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote