New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shellholder/.375 JDJ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok maybe I am missing something here, but does anyone see any reason why I can't use the standard shell holder I have been using for my .44 Special/magnum on the .444 Marlin brass I will be resizing to .375 JDJ? Best I can tell the only difference is the .003 rim thickness, but the brass fits in the shellholder just fine.

Did I miss something or are the reloading companies trying to make an extra buck, by listing two different shell holders?

Anyone have any pet loads for the .375 JDJ that they would like to share? It will be out of a 20" Contender carbine.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
As to your immediate problem. The shell holders are made based on the printed specifications of the cartridges for which they are intended. However, one will often find cartridges which are smaller or larger that specification in some dimension such as the rim diameter (dia) or rim thickness. In those cases it is sometimes necessary to find another shell holder which will work with that particular lot. As long as the shell holder gets a "full bite" on the cartridge rim, you should be fine. The only problem would arise if your shell holder was a bit bigger than the case head (just ahead of the rim) and didn't get as much of the rim as possible. In some circumstances you can then pull the rim right off and leave the case in the die.

As to your loads in the .375 JDJ. It seems to me from my previous research, that you will not have much difference in relative performance of a given load in different barrel lengths. In short, the best performer in the 14-15" barrels will be the best performer in the 20".

Ken Waters, about 2 years prior to JDJ, had a .375/444 he called the .375 Express which in a 22" barrel performs much as the cartridge does in the JDJ chambers. There are very slight differences in the dimensions of the 2 cartridges.

I'm really interested in your little project. I've been thinking for a long time about using the .375 JDJ (.375/444)in the carbine. I'd like to see continued posts on the subject, if you would.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well this is my quest for an ultra light elk/general big game hunting rifle. I should be able to get it right around 6 lbs, or maybe a little under with a little luck.

Now I'm just trying to find the best stock for the job. Looking at Bulberry, Virgin Valley and the ones made my Perkedd who sells on the auction sites. I have heard that the carbine lengths can be expected to give it an extra 10-15% more velocity, but only time will tell.

It might be a little rough in the recoil department, but it should be a joy to carry on those long fall days!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 44 mag shellholder when loading the 358 JDJ both are on the 444Marlin case, you should have no problem.

Posts: 1492 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
See, I am watching the topic! [Wink]

I shoot the Contender mostly as a carbine. To my thinking, the Rynite stock is the best. It just happens to fit me well (I figure I am the average guy they build all these stocks for..). I have a .45-70 Custom Shop 24" bull barrel and can load the 300 grain bullets to go about 2100 fps (whew!). 405s should go about 1800 fps. That's pretty good and it only weighs 6 lbs WITH scope. Now, I don't have any elk to hunt and so I don't generally load it up like that. I'm content with factory velocities of about 1800 fps for the 300 gr. bullets. These generate 30 ft lbs of recoil energy. That's more than just about anything I have (other than my 3" 12 ga. that weighs 5� lbs) but it is in no way unbearable. I fired about 35 rounds from the bench when checking the trajectory of the 300 gr. vs 405 gr. bulleted factory loads. That is from the bench. Once you realize what it is going to do, the recoil is not bad. A heavier, wood or laminate stock might help. Boyd's Stocks should have what you want in either walnut or a laminate. The benefit with wood is that you can get it in the correct length of pull (you might not be as lucky as I am to be average).

I'm looking forward to more updates. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I was all set to go with the Boyd's then I found out that they quit making forends. Now I'm not to concerned about cosmetics, but I would like the two pieces to actually match.

We'll see, funds are a little short until the end of the month, so I have a little time to ponder until then.

The T/C stocks just look so short, and I hear that they are often tough to use with Scopes. But what do I know [Smile] ?

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Well just how are you built? I'm 5'8�" tall and have average length arms, etc. ( [Roll Eyes] ) The factory Rynite fits me well. It IS too short for people with longer arms, some people with shorter arms have problems due to their proportions. Some of the bigger people have just stuck a slip on recoil pad (I personally would NOT like that choice.).

I didn't know that Boyd's had quite making forearms. Seems that they will soon be out of the Contender stocks altogether and just making G2 wood. Glad I like Rynite, but they have lost a sale to me as well...

posted Hide Post
I had a full bull T/C custom shop 35 rem rechambered by Bellm to a 20" .358x.444 (.358JDJ). My favorite load sends a 225gr BT at around 2500fps. I have some camo plastic stocks I picked up at a gun show that I ended up putting a thick magnum type recoil pad on. Not only for the recoil but for the extra length, was simple to do and definitly helped.

The other day we were shooting a bunch of guns across my chrony. We shot a 300 win bar, 300win 700ss, 7-08, 280, 270, 22-250, and my 358. I don't know the actual ft/lbs of recoil but that little cabine felt like it kicked twice as hard as that auto 300 bar. Kicked conciderably more than the 300 bolt gun too.

I have a 4x Weaver rimfire scope on it becaue I hate the way they look with a full size scope. So far it's holding up well. The only thing I dislike about the gun is the lack of a cheek pad.

Wish I could afford to do a 7mm or .308 on a .444 case in a 22" bull as a companion to the .358. I figure I could do pretty much anything I ever needed to do with those two barrels.

James

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
You know, I was just thinking (a dangerous thing, I know). IF the G2 will accept Contender forearms (except for the 209-.45) why the heck isn't Boyd's continuing to make forearms? I mean, I can understand not making butt stocks, those frames "going away" (yeah, I know) and all. But not forearms. Won't they have to make them for the G2 anyway. Or are they forfeiting that market all together?

Well I went to the site and they show both both forearm and stock when they show the stock. I suppose I should get one now...

[ 03-09-2003, 04:13: Message edited by: Hobie ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats why I called them a couple of weeks back, because they show them both in the picture. At that time the lady I spoke to said that she had 2-3 of the Pepper laminated forearms, and none of the nutmegs (What I was looking for.) She didn't give an explanation why they were selling one part and not the other.

I toldher I didn't want to buy the stock if I couldn't get the matching forearm. She seemed understanding, but didn't offer to do anything beyond that. Go figure!