New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRVI Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that the RWS brass question has been broached. Has anyone any experience with PRVI brass that they would share an opinion on. Especially .22 Hornet brass.

Thanks, The Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No hornet experience, but a good bit with 223.
On par with most mil spec brass I have dealt with.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Priva brass in various rifle calibers, but not the Hornet. I feel it's pretty decent brass and haven't had any failures with it such as early neck splits or loose primer pockets.

One company I was sorry to see leave the U.S. was PMC. I think very highly of their brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with Hornet brass. 7x57 brass needs a shell holder made for the 6.5 Swede as it has a slightly larger rim than American made brass. Ive found found the quality to be very good indeed. Factory ammo is also very accurate in my rifle.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Used it in 375H&H

The primer pockets were all different depths and seating primers was WAY too easy.

Yeah, I suppose it could be me, but I have used Federal, PMP and Remington brass without any potential problems.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Used it in 375H&H

The primer pockets were all different depths and seating primers was WAY too easy.

Yeah, I suppose it could be me, but I have used Federal, PMP and Remington brass without any potential problems.

Try using Winchester LR Primers. There diametre is larger than the other brands and it should give you a good fit on the said brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We've not tried the 22 Hornet; if you do, check the primer pocket vent holes with your decapping pin first. We used to have this issue all the time with S&B brass; the vent holes were so small a normal decapping pin would get stuck in them. F!$§&/°g mess trying to sort those out.

We've used quite a bit of .308 Win., 30/06 Sprg., 300 Win. Mag. & 9.3x62 Privi brass and it has been very serviable.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have reloaded several of the hornet brass. i haven't had any problems that i can remember. the brass seems to be good as far as i have seen.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I have used many of their caliber cases. Commercial and military.
I have had no problems with any of them and would recommend them in a heartbeat.
They also have a very good customer service department and are open to new caliber request and will answer questions.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, but Gerry reminded me of the problem brass...S & B was terrible. I broke a decapping pin or two on these and without swaging the pocket, they were useless. tossed all 50 of them. However I would buy the loaded rounds in a minute if they were as cheap as they were.

Thanks again, Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of Prvi brass, and it tends to be my preferred brass if I’m buying “affordable” brass. I’ve had zero issues with it. I’ve found the primer pockets to be uniform, and have not experienced loose primers. Longevity tends to be excellent, I have some 8X57 that has been reloaded over 10 times.

I’ve used it in .264 Win, 7X57, 6.5X55, amongst others. I use RCBS and Hornady shell holders and have not found the 7X57 requires a different shell holder.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm new to the Hornet, but so far no issues at all with Privi brass.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader270:
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Used it in 375H&H

Try using Winchester LR Primers. There diametre is larger than the other brands and it should give you a good fit on the said brass.

Thanks, but there's still the different depths. I tossed them a long time ago.

Seems I'm the exception here, so maybe the stuff they load as "Highland" for Oz is different from what they send to the US?

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However I would buy the loaded rounds in a minute if they were as cheap as they were

Mink-M,

A coupla years ago the Heidelberg Rod & Gun Club had Privi Partizan 300 Win. Mag. ammo w/their proprietary 170 gr. Grom (Hammer) bullet for $16.00 a box - we bought two cases - all they had at the time ..... great stuff.

The brass cases are Holding up just fine.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
I've used Priva brass in various rifle calibers, but not the Hornet. I feel it's pretty decent brass and haven't had any failures with it such as early neck splits or loose primer pockets.

One company I was sorry to see leave the U.S. was PMC. I think very highly of their brass.

tu2 X 2 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Prvi brass in various cartridges for awhile now, including 22 Hornet. Bought two or three boxes of Prvi 22 Hornet ammo when I had a Martini Cadet rifle rebarreled to this cartrige. Shot their ammo and reloaded the brass. Found my reloads to be more accurate than Prvi ammo. Good brass for reloading.

Every once in awhile, found Prvi brass for other cartridges (6.5 Swede/7x57 mauser for example) to be on the hardside when reloading the brass after shooting their ammo. But annealing it solved this problem.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Prvi 22 Hornet brass for a while now. Most of it must be on the 5th or 6th reloading and none's died. I'm not ramping up to max so the brass is holding it's own against my collection of Remington brass that's now been used at least ten times.
Very good brass, cheap and plentiful here.

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Of the brass offered to us today, the one company I do not trust is Hot-Shot. I have had many cases with the flash hole too small and drilled off center.
For loads too "Hot" causing case or fire arm damage, that would be S&B and Olympic.
Both companies are striving to correct the problems.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I use it regularly in 7,5x55 and .30-06 with complete satisfaction. I never had primer pocket or flash hole problems. But then, my std. procedure is to reshape primer pockets and deburr flash holes prior to put new brass in use.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote