New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you use these?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend gave me 3 bricks (3000) of Herter's primers marked as having been purchased in 1969. Large Rifle, Small pistol and Large pistol- 1 box of each. Would you use them? Someone told me they may be of more worth to a Herter's collector if there is such a beast. Need your advice.

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd certainly use them, at least for non-critical purposes (i.e.: NOT for an expensive big-game hunt).

Herter's stuff always was on the less-expensive end of the price scale, but I've used a lot of their stuff over the years with satisfaction. In fact, a friend recently gave me several cans of Herter's 160 powder, which is still working fine in some handgun loads.

Collector value....I dunno, but I doubt it would amount to much.

Try a few of the primers from each carton, and if they fire reliably, use 'em up.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'd use them (as a matter of fact, I AM using some right now!) And I would expect their performance to be fully equal to anything you'd pick up on the shelf that was manufactured in the last 6 months, provided they have been properly stored.

There is some collector value attached to original Herter products, but a well-preserved empty box is about as valuable in that regard as is a full one.

Not only do I have Herter's primers from that era (made in Japan, according to the box label), I also have some RWS LR "Sinoxid" primers made in 1968 that are my "go to" primers when accuracy and consistency is the goal.

Primers last a long, long time.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they were stored under decent conditions, they'll probably work just fine. Try some and see. As far as collectable goes, I guess you have to find the right collector ..

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If they were stored under decent conditions, they'll probably work just fine. Try some and see. As far as collectable goes, I guess you have to find the right collector ..

I totally agree. They should work OK. If concerned then use them on plinking/non-hunting rounds.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I'd contact Old Western Scrounger and see what they will offer you for them. If the packaging is in excellent condition, and unopend, they will be worth a lot more than what new CCI, Remington, Winchester or Federal primers will cost you.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'd use 'em, unless somebody wanted them badly enough to make the Haz-Mat fee worthwhile, which I think unlikely.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I used up a brick of them from a year earlier than that.....the Prairie dogs died the same.....

The primers was made by RWS as I recall.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote