New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Gibbs
 Login/Join

<BEJ>
posted
What is the parent cartridge, and basically, what is the process for making cases?? TIA

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of Rocky Gibbs wildcats are based on the .30-06 case. RCBS may still make a hydraulic case former but I don't know that for sure. I load for the .270 Gibbs by necking up .280 rem cases to about .35 cal then neck down in a .270 gibbs die. this will give enough of a false shoulder to headspace for fire forming. Gibbs cases can not simply be formed by firing a standard shell in the chamber. As an additional aid, I seat a heavy bullet into the lands to help headspace. Hope this was some help.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the dimensions for the Gibb's hydraulic case former, if you'd like to have them. Also, photos of how it's assembled and used. Just email me at...
ed@aement.com
Regards,
'puck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A hydralic case former is a less than satisfactory method of forming cases..Mostly it just spews oil all over you. [Big Grin]

Just fire form your cases...One can build a fire forming gun from one of the cheap mauser actions and they work great...Jack Belk can give you the specs for building a fireforming gun..You fireform the case in your reloading sizer die screwed into the bolt action with the stem out of course...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote